What's new

Microsoft Recalling Surface Pro, Pro 2 And Pro 3 Power Cords Due to Overheating

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
surface-24w-power-supply.jpg

There's a hiccup in Microsoft-land. They will be issuing a recall for some Surface Pro power cords. Apparently, power cords for the Surface Pro, Pro 2 and the Pro 3 sometimes have overheating issues. A Microsoft spokesperson had this to say, "As a result of damage caused by AC power cords being wound too tightly, twisted or pinched over an extended period of time, a very small proportion of Surface Pro customers have reported issues with their AC power cord. We will be releasing details of how customers can obtain a free replacement cable shortly."

The recall doesn't affect all versions of these power cords. The report indicated that only models sold before July 15th, 2015 will be affected by the recall. The voluntary recall will not affect Surface Pro 4 owners. If you own one of the affected Surface Pro models, be on the lookout for a correspondence from Microsoft within the next week or so.

Source: CNET

Chuck_IV

Is there any way to actually ID which cords are affected?

I have 3 cords. 1 came with my original SP3, 1 I bought separate as a spare and the 3rd is from when MS replaced my damaged SP3 under their extended warranty. They only took the SP3 and didn't want the accessories back. All of them were obtained in 2014.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is there any way to actually ID which cords are affected?

I have 3 cords. 1 came with my original SP3, 1 I bought separate as a spare and the 3rd is from when MS replaced my damaged SP3 under their extended warranty. They only took the SP3 and didn't want the accessories back. All of them were obtained in 2014.
They were all made prior to July 2015 so it applies to all of them.

" The report indicated that only models sold before July 15th, 2015 will be affected by the recall."

Note: The language of the report says the "Power Cord" not the brick or adapter and the "Power Cord" on these are detachable from the adapter. From comments I saw on other sites I think most people are assuming the DC cable side and are thinking they will get a complete adapter replacement when they are only going to get the AC cord that connects the adapter to the electrical outlet/mains.

I don't know what that's a picture of in the OP. The stories across the web seem to have grabbed any available image to include which is not helping to clarify anything.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's a link to the Microsoft AC power cord recall site.

Microsoft AC power cord recall for Surface Pro, Surface Pro 2, and certain Surface Pro 3 devices

This recall applies to:
  • AC power cords for Microsoft Surface Pro, Microsoft Surface Pro 2, and Microsoft Surface Pro 3 devices sold before March 15, 2015
724bda70-1f30-4373-ae91-347dc4bdfc61.png

AC Power Cord
This recall DOES NOT apply to:
  • AC power cords for Microsoft Surface RT, Microsoft Surface 2, Microsoft Surface 3, Microsoft Surface Pro 3 devices sold after March 15, 2015, Microsoft Surface Pro 4, and Microsoft Surface Book
  • Power supplies with DC power cord for all devices
  • AC power cords and power supplies for the docking stations for Microsoft Surface Pro, Microsoft Surface Pro 2, Microsoft Surface Pro 3, and Microsoft
    Surface 3

Important
  • Microsoft will provide one AC power cord replacement free of charge for each eligible Surface Pro device that you own. No proof of damage is required to receive a replacement AC power cord.
  • If you have more than one Surface Pro device, you’ll need to submit a replacement order for each one.

It would seem if you bought extra Power Supplies you're on your own for getting a replacement cord.
Note: the AC cord is a standard "figure eight" cord that comes with many devices and is available for purchase at many locations both brick & mortar and online.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
do you just go to the MS store and get replacement?
Request a replacement online at the site above.

From the frequently asked questions section
Can I instead contact the store where I bought my Surface to get a replacement?
No. To receive a replacement AC power cord, you’ll need to request a replacement below.​

johnj2803

Request a replacement online at the site above.

From the frequently asked questions section
Can I instead contact the store where I bought my Surface to get a replacement?
No. To receive a replacement AC power cord, you’ll need to request a replacement below.​

thank you.

Chuck_IV

Just as I suspected, I am getting screwed on the extra one I purchased separately. They will only send you one per Surface.

They need to account for spare ones that people may have purchased separately.

jrioux

Just as I suspected, I am getting screwed on the extra one I purchased separately. They will only send you one per Surface.
I would ask them anyway. What do you lose if they say no?

There are probably others with hazardous cords who will miss out based on the letter of MS's announcement. For example, why do they assume that all SP3s sold after 3/1/15 have the newer safe cords. I'm sure many that were sold after that date were shipped to retailers earlier with the hazardous cords. In addition, will people who bought used or refurbished SP3s with the hazardous cords qualify for replacements?

I wonder what MS's liability will be if someone's home or office burns down because they refused to replace a hazardous cord simple because it was not purchased new before an arbitrary date?