What's new

Microsoft Reveals the Lumia 950 & 950 XL Smartphones; Full Specs, Features, Pricing and Release Date

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
lumia-950-and-950-xl.png

Next up we have Microsoft's impressive new Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL smartphones. These are full Windows 10 smartphones with impressive new technology. Not only did Microsoft include a number of high-end hardware improvements for this new line of Lumias, they also added a ton of extra features and functions which make the Lumia a competitive powerhouse in the smartphone world.

First we will share a breakdown of hardware tech:
  • 5.2-inch WQHD (1440 x 2560) OLED (5.7-inch for the Lumia 950 XL)
  • 3GB of RAM
  • Snapdragon 808 processor with liquid cooling tech
  • 20-megapixel PureView camera (with triple LED flash) rear camera - optical image stabilization - dedicated camera button
  • Wide-angle 5-megapixel front-facing camera is also included.
  • USB Type-C connectors
  • 32GB Storage
  • A microSD cards that can add up to 256GB of additional storage
  • Adaptive antennae technology
Next we will share some of the new software and OS capabilities:
  • Full mobile Windows 10 - multi-tasking, can use the usual assortment of Windows PC commands - includes a Start Menu
  • Continuum that lets you plug your phone into a dock and use it as a PC - Continuum can be used by plugging the Lumia into a Microsoft display dock with an HDMI cable that connects it to a monitor - The dock also features three USB ports for additional accessories.
  • Glance screen technology that lets you see notifications and other info at a glance without turning on the phone.
That's only just some of the fresh new ideas packed into Microsoft's new Lumias. The new Lumias will start selling in November for $550 for the Lumia 950 and $650 for the Lumia 950 XL.

Last edited:

smalltowngirl13

Am truly hoping that these will be released on the VZW network although I have not seen, heard or found any confirmation that they will be. It looks like only TMo and AT&T have confirmed their release.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will definately be getting one. I only have internet on my phone, and with limited tethering. Continuum makes the tethering limit obsolete :) I assume that a carrier wouldn't be able to try and argue that is tethering.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Here's an even more comprehensive breakdown of internal hardware for the new Lumia's from Microsoft:

Talkman (Lumia 950)
  • Matte White or black polycarbonate body
  • 5.2 inch WQHD (1440x2560) OLED display
  • Snapdragon 808, 64-bit Hexa core
  • Iris scanner (infrared) for Windows Hello
  • 3GB of RAM
  • 32GB of internal storage with a microSD card slot
  • 20MP PureView rear camera
  • 5MP Wide-angle front facing camera
  • 3000 mAh removable battery
  • Qi wireless charging with flip cover
  • USB Type-C