What's new

Microsoft seriously considering TRADE-UP program for keyboards...

mitchellvii

Just got off the phone with a Customer Service Supervisor at Microsoft. They are seriously considering a trade-up program for existing Surface users for their touch and type keyboards. I have been informed that this is a topic of weekly discussion.

My argument to them was that if they are offering Apple Customers a trade-up, why not their own early adopters who showed brand loyalty? Also that the best way to sell new type covers is for existing users to display them in public and create some gee-whiz-that's-cool buzz.

Anyway, take it for what it's worth. At least they are talking about it.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

The words brand loyalty coming from you, now that's funny.

Really? I do have quite a bit of Microsoft brand loyalty, probably the reason why I feel so offended by their constantly arrogant and stupid choices. Funny, as I spoke with the Customer Service Manager and made some recommendations he said, "We are trying to get better!". My response was, "Yeah well I'll cut you a break being a new company and all..."

You see, at this point, Microsoft should not be "trying to get better" they should be fine-tuning greatness. Is there a rule at Microsoft that you must always do it wrong the first time? Surface, Zune, Kin, Windows 8 ...

Never-the-less, if MS is not completely tone-deaf, they will offer this trade-up program (which means a 50/50 shot at best). They may be waiting to see if early adopters buy the new covers without an incentive before offering one.

Last edited:

TeknoBlast

ilovelamp.jpg

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Yes, it is, as much as you bash Microsoft repeatedly.

Which will end the moment Microsoft starts behaving in a less bash-worthy manner.

But here is some praise for MS - the new keyboard covers? Excellent, lighter, thinner, stronger, quieter and even backlit, my god, they do listen (occasionally). But then they blow it on the price. $200 for the battery cover that probably costs them $30 to make? Really?

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

Which will end the moment Microsoft starts behaving in a less bash-worthy manner.

But here is some praise for MS - the new keyboard covers? Excellent, lighter, thinner, stronger, quieter and even backlit, my god, they do listen (occasionally). But then they blow it on the price. $200 for the battery cover that probably costs them $30 to make? Really?

In the same vein, when speaking of mitchellvii, insights and observations? Awesome sauce. Presentation/ articulation? Bash-worthy.;) You see how that works? Everybody - person or entity - has two sides - one praiseworthy, the other, in your words, bash-worthy.

oion

In the same vein, when speaking of mitchellvii, insights and observations? Awesome sauce. Presentation/ articulation? Bash-worthy.;) You see how that works? Everybody - person or entity - has two sides - one praiseworthy, the other, in your words, bash-worthy.

His so-called insights aren't awesome either, though. Remember when he claimed there are no 10" hybrid Win tablets, ergo, the Surface is fail? That was easily proven wrong with a Wikipedia list, but he never admitted to that. How about when he said that because no other manufacturer is copying the Surface, ergo the form factor design fail? But there are now clones coming out, and he won't admit to being wrong about that either. :p And assuming he works, he doesn't work with a company related to a brand, so he refuses to accept that marketing is actually critical in starting up consumer interest and adoption (I work for a Fortune 200 brand, you wouldn't believe how important those marketing people are, as much as I hate them). With his poor logic, if the second generation Surfaces are successful at all, he's the type to harp that the addition of keyboard backlighting is obviously the key to success and not something like battery life on the Pro.

I hope the backlighting is an option that can be disabled since it's a useless power drain for me and probably many others who have ambient lighting; for example, none of the university campuses I've worked in are in total darkness because they're designed to allow people to write on paper (which is not backlit, FYI). My biggest concern is the loss of 1mm keystroke, though--this is a distinct downside to the new Type. Keyboard usability hinges upon both pitch and stroke.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Ok, I can understand you guys being fanboys. That's all good. I'm more pragmatic.

Here's your chance to sell me. Explain to me why I should pay $130 more for a Surface Pro 2 than a Dell XPS 11? Dell XPS 11 has a bigger screen, MUCH better resolution, unlimited viewing angles, a full sized keyboard, more ports, a (secure) place to store the pen and longer battery life. Microsoft has to sell a $200 dock for the SP2 just to do what XPS 11 does with no dock at all. If I am a customer standing in BestBuy trying to decide which of these to buy, why would I pick the Surface Pro 2?

Sell me.

** Microsoft should have bailed on the Surface Pro 2, dumped Windows RT and made Surface 2 Bay Trail with a pen and full Windows for $500 including the keyboard. THAT my good friends would have blown the doors off. That would have sold like mad and I would have been the first to hail Microsoft's brilliance.

kristalsoldier

I'm no fanboy Mitch...I was just highlighting the essence of your observation involving praiseworthiness and bashworthiness...;)

HeroPsycho

Ok, I can understand you guys being fanboys. That's all good. I'm more pragmatic.

Here's your chance to sell me. Explain to me why I should pay $130 more for a Surface Pro 2 than a Dell XPS 11? Dell XPS 11 has a bigger screen, MUCH better resolution, unlimited viewing angles, a full sized keyboard, more ports, a (secure) place to store the pen and longer battery life. Microsoft has to sell a $200 dock for the SP2 just to do what XPS 11 does with no dock at all. If I am a customer standing in BestBuy trying to decide which of these to buy, why would I pick the Surface Pro 2?

Sell me.

** Microsoft should have bailed on the Surface Pro 2, dumped Windows RT and made Surface 2 Bay Trail with a pen and full Windows for $500 including the keyboard. THAT my good friends would have blown the doors off. That would have sold like mad and I would have been the first to hail Microsoft's brilliance.

The surface pro 2 will be lighter and thinner. Screen size cuts both ways. Same with a full size keyboard. It's not that the XPS 11 is worse, but it is worse for portability. THe Surface Pro I thought was heavy for a tablet generally speaking. Adding any weight or bulk for me is a non-starter because to me, the usefulness of this device is laptop power with tablet like portability. I want it smaller and lighter above those features.

But to each his own.

demandarin

You mean Surface 2. The new pro supposedly has same weight and dimensions as first generation. The new rt is the one thinner and lighter. Pro 2 will have significant battery life increase.