What's new

Microsoft set to bring 256GB Surface Pro to North America for $1,199.99

Spaniard

Microsoft set to bring 256GB Surface Pro to North America for $1,199.99 | The Verge
A Surface Pro with more storage is coming to North America. WPCentral first spotted the retail listing at CDW.com — one of Microsoft's authorized vendors — confirming that a 256GB version of the tablet is set to go on sale imminently with availability expected in the next week. The larger capacity, twice that of Apple's roomiest iPad, first debuted in Japan earlier this month. US retail cost is set at $1,199.99. Aside from the larger flash drive, the Surface Pro's hardware remains entirely unchanged. That means an upgrade to Intel's latest Haswell processors (and the uptick in battery life that would presumably result) will have to wait for another day. We've reached out to Microsoft for more information on availability of the 256GB Surface Pro and will update this story upon hearing back.

Microsoft to sell 256GB Surface Pro in the US, but only through certain resellers
Did you look on Japan with envy as Microsoft launched a 256GB Surface Pro in the country, leaving other countries with modest storage? If you're American, you won't have to fret any more: Microsoft has confirmed to Engadget that there will be "limited availability" of the 256GB model in the country through its new commercial reseller program. While the company didn't say exactly which stores will carry the Surface Pro, Windows Phone Central has already spotted the new version on sale at CDW for $1,200. New orders will still take a few days to ship, but it could be worth the wait for the ultimate version of Microsoft's official tablet.
3v1950.jpg

mitchellvii

Awesome, now I can buy an SP with 4 times as much space as I need! :)

Still I'm sure someone out there could use up twice that much.

Sit

With the Haswell processor now ramping up, I personally would not be interested in a new "Pro" with just additional SSD space.

Cambo

Yep not really needed. I have a 64gig micro sd in mine so almost the same..would have looked at it if had the new Haswell though

ArnoldC

This could benefit me, who carries around 3 Hyper-V images. Having said that, the surface Pro, as nice as it is, still won't replace my aging Acer S3 (i7 vs. i5, same 4GB memory, same 256GB SSD). For selfish reasons, I want a model with i7, 8GB memory, 256GB SSD and 4-6 hours battery life.

GreatWindows

This could benefit me, who carries around 3 Hyper-V images. Having said that, the surface Pro, as nice as it is, still won't replace my aging Acer S3 (i7 vs. i5, same 4GB memory, same 256GB SSD). For selfish reasons, I want a model with i7, 8GB memory, 256GB SSD and 4-6 hours battery life.

Haswell.....
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

CrippsCorner

Kinda glad it didn't come out at launch...

I would have been forced to buy it (because you know, I've just got to have the best version whether I need it or not, because I'm an idiot) and I would have just spend more money lol.

OP
Spaniard

Spaniard

Update: Microsoft has reached out to clarify that the 256GB Surface Pro is squarely aimed at its business customers. In fact, securing one as a general consumer is likely to be all but impossible — at least right now. In a Q&A Microsoft has posted on the new device, the company notes that authorized resellers carrying the 256GB Surface Pro are only permitted to sell to business, public sector, and education customers.

Microsoft set to bring 256GB Surface Pro to North America for $1,199.99 (update) | The Verge
Microsoft to sell 256GB Surface Pro in the US, but only through certain resellers (updated)

rilot

I wonder when MS will release a Haswell version.
I'm thinking that they will announce/launch with the office launch of 8.1.

CrippsCorner

Unforunately rilot, I fear the real question atm is still if Microsoft will release a Haswell version... lets hope eh.

Also, doesn't it seem a bit silly only selling your most expensive product to businesses? If people wanna give you more money... bloody take it!

mitchellvii

Unforunately rilot, I fear the real question atm is still if Microsoft will release a Haswell version... lets hope eh.

I think you are starting to see the light. EVERYONE is making a big deal about their Haswell Products. Crickets from MS. I think they believe the SP did it's job to get the W8 hardware build going and now it will ride off into the sunset. After all, MS is a hardware company like Amazon is a hardware company. Right, they both sell hardware so you'll buy their content, not to make money off hardware. In the same way MS will continue to come out with lightweight, inexpensive devices as Amazon does and leave the heavy lifting to their hardware partners.

Think about it, how much would MS have to invest to keep up with the Samsung ATIV Q's and the Dell XPS 11's? Those companies have manufacturing economies of scale, MS does not. Also, I'm sure MS's hardware partners told MS behind closed doors, "Ok, we get it, now back off..."

SP was always just the fuse and never the dynamite.

tonyz3

I think it is just taking them time to redesign the kickstand for you. Once that is done the SP2 will be out and you will own me a $1.