What's new

Microsoft set to bring 256GB Surface Pro to North America for $1,199.99

Nuspieds

Awesome, now I can buy an SP with 4 times as much space as I need! :)

Still I'm sure someone out there could use up twice that much.
Not to go off-topic, but if I buy an insert an SD card, it should be seen as pure and simple available storage, period. But no, not so with this OS and device! :(

I am a DirecTV subscriber and I recently purchased their GenieGO device which transcodes recordings and then downloads them to my SP. Unfortunately, it does not allow storage to my SD card! You know what? I don't blame the software, I blame the OS! It should be completely transparent to the software! :mad:

Anyway, so now I'm having to store that content on my C: drive and my free space continues to dwindle! So, yes, the bigger-sized SP (v2 when it is released) will definitely be of interest to me.

Nuspieds

Unforunately rilot, I fear the real question atm is still if Microsoft will release a Haswell version... lets hope eh.

Also, doesn't it seem a bit silly only selling your most expensive product to businesses? If people wanna give you more money... bloody take it!
My expectations are that we will see and be impressed with a very improved SP v2 in 2014, from all aspects (thickness, speed, battery life, etc.).

Krooked

I think you are starting to see the light. EVERYONE is making a big deal about their Haswell Products. Crickets from MS. I think they believe the SP did it's job to get the W8 hardware build going and now it will ride off into the sunset. After all, MS is a hardware company like Amazon is a hardware company. Right, they both sell hardware so you'll buy their content, not to make money off hardware. In the same way MS will continue to come out with lightweight, inexpensive devices as Amazon does and leave the heavy lifting to their hardware partners.

Think about it, how much would MS have to invest to keep up with the Samsung ATIV Q's and the Dell XPS 11's? Those companies have manufacturing economies of scale, MS does not. Also, I'm sure MS's hardware partners told MS behind closed doors, "Ok, we get it, now back off..."

SP was always just the fuse and never the dynamite.

Doesn't MS make the Xbox?

The Surface isn't their first foray into the hardware realm. Of all of the win8 products available, the SP was my top choice. I guarantee we will see a true SP 2 either later this year or very early next year.

Last edited:

Igor

Not to go off-topic, but if I buy an insert an SD card, it should be seen as pure and simple available storage, period. But no, not so with this OS and device! :(

I am a DirecTV subscriber and I recently purchased their GenieGO device which transcodes recordings and then downloads them to my SP. Unfortunately, it does not allow storage to my SD card! You know what? I don't blame the software, I blame the OS! It should be completely transparent to the software! :mad:

Anyway, so now I'm having to store that content on my C: drive and my free space continues to dwindle! So, yes, the bigger-sized SP (v2 when it is released) will definitely be of interest to me.

Have you tried creating a symlink to your SD card?

Using Symlinks in Windows for Fun and Profit - Tested

Nuspieds

Have you tried creating a symlink to your SD card?

Using Symlinks in Windows for Fun and Profit - Tested
Yeah, I know about Symbolic Links but I'm not yet at the breaking point where I need to switch to the SD. If that time comes, though, using the Symbolic Link was my plan.

But Symbolic Links should be reserved for the technical crowd. An average user should be able to install an SD card and use it as additional storage, just like the built-in SSD, which all apps and the OS can see and use.

ArnoldC

Last edited:

Nuspieds

Yes, they did it two ways-

1. They fixed Windows Search to recognize a removable SD card
2. Libraries now accept SD card locations

Try it if you have 8.1- PC & devices > Devices > Default save location
No, I don't have 8.1, but that is good to hear. Thanks for the info!

It really needs to be seamless and simple as, "If you want more storage, buy and SD card and plug it in and then you have another drive." That's it, that's all; nothing more complex than that.

I can't wait for the 8.1 final release! :)