What's new

Microsoft starts shipping 1 TB Surface Book, Surface Pro 4

Spider

Super Moderator
Staff member
MIcrosoft's promised 1TB configuraitons of its Surface Book laptop and Surface Pro 4 tablet are now available in the U.S. and Canada.

By Mary Jo Foley for All About Microsoft | January 22, 2016 -- 14:54 GMT (06:54 PST)

When Microsoft unveiled its Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 line up last Fall, the highest end models -- with 1 TB of storage, 16GB of RAM, and Core i7 processors -- weren't ready yet.

1tbsurfacebook.jpg

Microsoft execs said at the time that the 1TB Surface Book laptop with a detachable tablet would be available on January 22, 2016.

On cue, the $3,199 1TB Surface Book is available as of today in the United States and Canada. The 1TB version of the Surface Pro 4 tablet is likewise available in those two markets as of today, too. It costs $2,699 here in the U.S.

I asked about availability of both high-end device configurations in other markets, but Microsoft isn't commenting beyond saying the company is taking a phased approach.

The high-end Surface Book is available online only via Microsoft Stores and other select resellers. The top-of-the-line Surface Pro 4 is available in Microsoft retail stores and through select resellers.

Microsoft also is touting availability as of today of the gold Surface Pen. It costs $60 and is available in Canada, Denmark, Finland, Italy, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and the U.S.

I mostly like the Surface Book form factor. And I know many consumers and business people really also like their Surface Pros.

There continue to be ongoing problems, however, with power/sleep, Intel's display drivers, and more with these Windows 10 devices, which, understandably, are making some users a bit unhappy. (Yes, I am the queen of understatement.) Microsoft has yet to offer a public timetable as to when/how these issues will be addressed.

In the couple months I used my Surface Book loaner, I experienced some of these issues on an intermittent basis. I have talked to other users who say they have experienced relatively few hiccups with their new Pro 4 and Surface Book devices. I'm not sure what to make of the differences, but given these are premium devices with premium price tags, they should just work.