What's new

Microsoft Store Distribution

Come on Microsoft. Staples and Best Buy can let you get your hands on the devices, I haven't found anyone at either store that could answer even the most rudimentary question about anything Microsoft. The people at Staples seem to run in the other direction if they see that's what you're looking at.

I live in the South East, half way between Nashville and Birmingham. Come on Microsoft, three stores in Atlanta, not one in the state of Alabama, not one in Nashville. Y'all have a great product, sell the product. I'll be getting another Surface, it's far and away the best device for me, but I'd love to be able to go into a store.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Come on Microsoft. Staples and Best Buy can let you get your hands on the devices, I haven't found anyone at either store that could answer even the most rudimentary question about anything Microsoft. The people at Staples seem to run in the other direction if they see that's what you're looking at.

I live in the South East, half way between Nashville and Birmingham. Come on Microsoft, three stores in Atlanta, not one in the state of Alabama, not one in Nashville. Y'all have a great product, sell the product. I'll be getting another Surface, it's far and away the best device for me, but I'd love to be able to go into a store.
Hmm, My understanding is the only Best Buys with the Surface 3 on display are the one with the "Windows" store inside which should be a "Blue Shirt" employee (terminology - I'm not sure exactly who a "Blue Shirt" works for but they are at least supposed to be able to spell Microsoft with out using a $). Other Best Buys have Surfaces but I doubt they know any more about them than anything else which will mostly just be what the guy/gal read on the Internet Forum they were just on. :) Unless they were HERE! :D

goodintentions

Windows bad ipad good. That's all they know.

Employees at these stores are high school grads that don't even know the difference between capacitive and resistive touch screens.

OP
B

brocharlieb

Hmm, My understanding is the only Best Buys with the Surface 3 on display are the one with the "Windows" store inside which should be a "Blue Shirt" employee (terminology - I'm not sure exactly who a "Blue Shirt" works for but they are at least supposed to be able to spell Microsoft with out using a $). Other Best Buys have Surfaces but I doubt they know any more about them than anything else which will mostly just be what the guy/gal read on the Internet Forum they were just on. :) Unless they were HERE! :D

That is helpful information, GreyFox7, so if I go to the Best Buy website do they say which stores include a "Windows" store. To some extent, I do agree with goodintentions, they may have some trained sales people but it hasn't been my experience that that was a norm. Fortunately, I can come HERE to get my questions answered.

leeshor

Few sales people in computer stores are all that knowledgeable about anything they don't have direct exposure to and most really don't know as much about computers as they may sound. I've heard my share of bad advice given to customers. If they were any better they would probably not be working in retail. Every now and then you will run into an enthusiast who knows what he knows and not much more.

Nuspieds

I had a friend who used to work in Good Guys back in the day and he told always told me to beware of the salesperson and what they were trying to push you to buy. He said it was common practice for Vendors to have "commission promotions" where, for example, Vendor B's TV would generate a higher commission than Vendor A during the promotion period. Consequently, even though Vendor A's TV was better, they'd push you to buy Vendor B's TV.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member

Boo hoo :p We don't have a single store or even a kiosk in the entire country, let alone London.

OP
B

brocharlieb

So, I drove the 45 minutes to the local Best Buy, thinking I'd get to see a Surface 3 and might even consider a pre-order on my Best Buy card. The kid (sorry, that's all I can call him) who was the Microsoft expert wasn't helpful.
BBE1: Can I help you?
Me: I wanted to see the Surface 3.
BBE1: We have the Pro 3.
Me: I understood the Surface 3 was in the stores.
BBE1: That models not out yet.
Me: I understood there were examples of it on the floor, and it was available for preorder.
BBE1: It's not out yet.

So, as I left I asked the person at the front of the store who is supposed to find out if your questions got answered if they had a Microsoft person in the store, he said it was the guy I already talked to.

Thanks Best Buy, no help at all. Thanks Microsoft, no help at all.

goodintentions

So, I drove the 45 minutes to the local Best Buy, thinking I'd get to see a Surface 3 and might even consider a pre-order on my Best Buy card. The kid (sorry, that's all I can call him) who was the Microsoft expert wasn't helpful.
BBE1: Can I help you?
Me: I wanted to see the Surface 3.
BBE1: We have the Pro 3.
Me: I understood the Surface 3 was in the stores.
BBE1: That models not out yet.
Me: I understood there were examples of it on the floor, and it was available for preorder.
BBE1: It's not out yet.

So, as I left I asked the person at the front of the store who is supposed to find out if your questions got answered if they had a Microsoft person in the store, he said it was the guy I already talked to.

Thanks Best Buy, no help at all. Thanks Microsoft, no help at all.

Again, you shouldn't take people from BB too seriously regarding these stuff. These people are high school grads. Just because they work at an electronic chain store doesn't mean they know more than you. When you ask your questions, try to keep them simple and never get into an argument with them.

Case in point. One time I was browsing through the BB near my office and started playing with the SP3 there. The right half of the screen touch capability was out. Only the left side was working. The computer department manager happened to be right there, so I pointed it out to him. He insisted that it was suppose to be like that. Puzzled, I asked him what he meant. He said the surface pro 3 doesn't use finger touch input. It uses the "electronic pen" that comes with it. Knowing better than to argue, I just said ok and left.

What really got me was the fact that he sounded so confident about it, too. It was basically just hot air coming out of his ass, but man the confidence level was sky high.

So, just keep in mind that just because these people work at BB doesn't mean they somehow know these things more than you.

taylork1

Bad BB experience: I bought my S3 yesterday from BB. Woo Hoo, they had exactly what I wanted. HOWEVER, after the sales rep explained the Best Buy Credit Card, which would result in a $65 store credit because of the S3 sale, I applied and was declined. HA! I gave my RewardZone card, and was asked 2 questions: Rent or Own: (Own for 30 years). Annual Income: $15K. I just retired from my IT job, have a startup company and accurately answered the question.

I sent an email to the customer service department and promptly got back their form letter about how much they value my comments. That's it! Retired Americans want the BB loyalty rewards, too!

Retiree Discrimination at BB

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bad BB experience: I bought my S3 yesterday from BB. Woo Hoo, they had exactly what I wanted. HOWEVER, after the sales rep explained the Best Buy Credit Card, which would result in a $65 store credit because of the S3 sale, I applied and was declined. HA! I gave my RewardZone card, and was asked 2 questions: Rent or Own: (Own for 30 years). Annual Income: $15K. I just retired from my IT job, have a startup company and accurately answered the question.

I sent an email to the customer service department and promptly got back their form letter about how much they value my comments. That's it! Retired Americans want the BB loyalty rewards, too!

Retiree Discrimination at BB

How are you retired if you are running a startup?