What's new

Microsoft Store staff have no clue...

mitchellvii

If you have called Microsoft Store and asked one of their staff a technical question about the SP3 or some other product such as the docking station, please keep in mind that (many of) these people HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.

I called yesterday to double-check on the viewing angle for the SP3 docking station. One of the users here had told me it was 64 degrees (which is too steep for me), but I really wanted this dock so I thought I would ask directly to make sure. You would think this VITAL information would be published in MS's technical specs (but it's not). Anyway, I called the main number and asked the rep. She checked with her managers and said, "It's 45 degrees." I responded, are you sure, I don't think that is right? She said she was sure so I asked to speak directly to sales. Again sales said, "45 degrees". Hmmm, you can look at pictures of the damned thing and see it's clearly not 45 degrees. So I called the actual physical local store (which is about 40 minutes from me and why I didn't just drive there) and asked the rep (who sounded like he was stoned, honestly) and he measured it with a protractor app on his phone. 55 degrees. Huh? Now I'm really confused. I know from pictures the SP2 dock was 64 degrees, is the SP3 dock not as steep?

So (at least) two separate people at Microsoft Store customer support gave me COMPLETELY INCORRECT information. Lol, I think when people get fired at MS they go to work for BestBuy. The takeaway here is, if you are calling MS for technical information on SP3 products, you may as well ask your grandmother - many have no clue.

Do your own research, go to forums and dig. Don't trust MS customer support.

P.S., There are only 3 Surface Pro 3 products. You would think the sales people online would know the answer to a basic question without having to look it up. Does MS train these people at all?

I mean just look at the thing. It's clearly not 45 degrees. 55 I could probably live with. May just have to drive to the store to check for myself.

docking.jpg

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Clearly you could measure the angle from the photo, what's the big deal? :) I'm mean really if you want something done right, do it yourself! and of course sales people and store employees haven't a clue that's why they work there. :)

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Clearly you could measure the angle from the photo, what's the big deal? :) I'm mean really if you want something done right, do it yourself! and of course sales people and store employees haven't a clue that's why they work there. :)

I agree. If I could find a dead on picture from the side of the SP3 dock, but I can't. I can find one of the SP1 dock. Are they the same?

If you have a picture dead on of the side of the SP3 dock please link me.

Here is the SP1 dock. Are they the same? This one is 64 degrees:

microsoft-docking-station-for-surface-pro-configuration_original.jpg

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I find it interesting that you accuse them of being COMPLETELY INCORRECT when you don't even know what the correct answer is.

Not to mention why tar everyone with one brush? Humans make mistakes. But it does not mean they all make mistakes, or the same ones. The microsoft employee i spoke with when viewing the sp3 was incredibly informative and knew exactly what was what. Most informative.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I find it interesting that you accuse them of being COMPLETELY INCORRECT when you don't even know what the correct answer is.

Not to mention why tar everyone with one brush? Humans make mistakes. But it does not mean they all make mistakes, or the same ones. The microsoft employee i spoke with when viewing the sp3 was incredibly informative and knew exactly what was what. Most informative.

Well I KNOW it isn't 45 degrees. :) Remember that not only did the staff I spoke to believe it was 45 degrees, their managers also informed them it was 45 degrees. That's an entire chain of command who doesn't have the foggiest idea regarding the technical specs of a flagship product.

I'm happy you were fortunate to get an employee who was technically adept but in my experience, the vast majority are not and are horribly trained.

This post is a caveat emptor to anyone asking MS Store staff about their products. They may be correct and they may just be guessing. In my experience, most I have dealt with fall into the latter category.

Last edited:

ctitanic

keep in mind that that info is not in the manuals ;-)

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

in fact they are well trained, they improvised to keep you happy!

After almost 30 years as an IT headhunter I'm used to people making authoritative statements when they are merely guessing. :) That's why when I spoke to the first person and they said, "45 degrees," I asked, do you know or are you guessing? She said she asked her supervisors and that's what they said.

Sad. It is odd this info is not in the tech manual. I mean, the angle is kind of important since it is not adjustable. Oh Microsoft, so often you amaze me and so often you disappoint. Microsoft is the idiot savant of technology. On the one hand they can play Mozart by ear and on the other hand they can't tie their own shoes.

It's been love hate with these guys for me since the days of DOS 6.0.

Nuspieds

I remember back when the SP1 was released, I called and went online to find out of the DP was 1.1 or 1.2.

Surely, I thought, that they would be able to reach someone in the Engineering team or whatever but, remarkably, I was told conflicting information from various reps. I was so disappointed and frustrated.

Eventually I was convinced by one of the reps and I then went out and purchased by second DP 1.2 monitor. I was so excited up until the time I did the setup and was faced with reality.

The investment wasn't a waste and I'm using it now on my SP2, but how pathetic that no one was able to reach back to the right internal team to provide me with the correct information.

mmoran27

Their job is to sell. When is the last time you believed salespeople to be technical?

As for improving that is flat out lying. I can't believe Citantic approves this.

Don't bother reading any of his posts. He clearly works for Microsoft or is paid to post only positive things about surface.

Windows 8 was a fiasco even acknowledged by Microsoft.

http://m.windowsitpro.com/windows-9/putting-win-windows-9

All the lead architects are GONE.

Yet according to him MS can do no wrong

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't bother reading any of his posts. He clearly works for Microsoft or is paid to post only positive things about surface.

By all means shoot yourself in the foot then. It wouldn't matter to me if he was an employee, and MVP, or just plain average joe. The fact is he is a valuable contributor on this forum and if you did read his posts counter to your advice, you would learn that he goes out of his way to be as useful as possible when people are in need of help.

Next time you've got battery issues, make sure not to read his thread! Nothing of use in there :rolleyes: