What's new

Microsoft Stylus Pen

sfwul

Probably a dumb question: is it possible to use the Microsoft Surface Stylus Pen (latest model, BT 4.0, that I am using with my Surface Pro 7+) on my WIndows 10 PC as well?
IF... at all possible, what do I need to enable/install and what applications can I use for it? Powerpoint as well? Need to unpaire it from the Surface Pro device I suppose?
(Office 365 subscription)

Thanks!

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
If your Windows 10 PC has a touch screen, then it is possible pen can have some functionality to draw or write.

The Microsoft Surface Stylus Pen only uses Bluetooth for the buttons on the pen. Bluetooth is not used for drawing or writing on the screen. For that, an invisible electromagnetic grid is working on the actual screen of the Surface device to detect an interruption, which is a finger or the pen. If your Windows 10 PC has a touch screen, the pen may not work even though your finger would.

OP
S

sfwul

Many thanks indeed!
All clear - bad luck.
Maybe, one day in future, likely the next generation, there will be a simple pen, without tablets or whatever other devices, i.e. working like a bluetooth mouse, that can be used with a common desktop PC. :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
years ago there was an optical pen that worked with the screen pixels I believe, however, the technology wasn't as good as the techniques used today that combine a screen sensor with the pen. Today's technology could be implemented in a monitor and pen. There are also some pen mice available but they are pretty clunky. I'd guess there's not enough demand for a monitor/pen solution to be viable. I think it is possible Steve Jobs set the pen/stylus back decades with his views.

OP
S

sfwul

I just did a search for: surface pro connect to desktop
and noticed -many- hits. Would have to go thru many of them to see whether it would work and if so, how. It seems one would need a usb-c > hdmi cable for this(?) Unless the monitor has a USB-C port. (or the expensive surface dock)
A cable like: USB Type C to HDMI 2.0 Video Adapter Cable?
But .. then again, I have no idea, did not check further. Maybe it just does not work...
(I have a HP Dreamcolor 27" currently set to 2560x1440 at 60Hz - the max is 4096x2160)

later: noticed that Microsoft is selling an USB C>HDMI adapter as an accessorie for the Surface, so I guess it should work :)

Weemewer

Probably a dumb question: is it possible to use the Microsoft Surface Stylus Pen (latest model, BT 4.0, that I am using with my Surface Pro 7+) on my WIndows 10 PC as well? IF... at all possible, what do I need to enable/install and what applications can I use for it? Powerpoint as well? Need to unpaire it from the Surface Pro device I suppose? (Office 365 subscription) Thanks!  
The nice answer!