What's new

Microsoft Support Comes Through!

Telstar1948

As some may know, my SP3 started freezing and then would be alright after booting back up (up to this point, I'd had no issues with it). Finally, though, it wouldn't boot to Windows. Went online to MS support and asked that they call me about my SP3. They did (several times before I was done) and they went through trying to get it to boot. They finally had me download a recovery image from them and try booting with the image on a USB drive. It booted up into the recovery image), but it couldn't repair, refresh or reset. It looked like the SSD had failed somehow. Arranged an exchange - this was Monday later in the day that I was dealing with MS support. I received my brand new SP3 i5 256 by FedEx on Wednesday!

That may be the norm with MS support, but, man, I have to give them credit where credit is due. They handled this well!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, while i've no prior experience with MS support, they really seem to be pulling out all the stops right now with the sp3. I had an issue with my pen side buttons, after about 5 minutes on live chat they posted me another free of charge and said just keep the old (which then proceeded to work just fine). No request for proof, returning it for inspection, just a free £50 replacement pen in the post as happy as you please :))

CrippsCorner

Good to hear some positive news on this! Usually people come here to moan :D had a pretty good experience myself tbh, received a replacement Surface without any proof of me even having a problem.

OP
Telstar1948

Telstar1948

The new one has taken all the updating and reinstalling tons of software without a hiccup, so it appears to be doing great!

cemian

oh also how did they handle the exchange? did you still have your old one when they sent you the replacement or did you send it back first or did you pay something to have them send it without sending it back first?

OP
Telstar1948

Telstar1948

They offered me three options: 1) go to the nearest MS Store to exchange (they would make the arrangements for that if that's what I preferred) 2) send my old one to them according to their instructions and they would then send me the new one (5-10 business days total) or 3) give them my credit card info so they could put a hold on it for the purchase price and they would overnight a new one. I would then have ten days after receiving the new one to put my old one in the same box the new one came in, attached the provided label to the box and then drop it with FedEx.

I chose the last option. The hold on the credit card is supposed to be lifted as soon as they receive the old SP3.

MadCruzer

Back when I sent in my SP 1 for the yellow bar issue - I also chose scenario 3, and it all worked out great.

FWIW, I have a yellow bar on my SP3, but I only notice it when I see others on this forum complain about it :) I'm just holding on to it for now, everything else is perfect.

spinachpie

I had a good experience when my old SP3 had a fan issue. Store wouldn't replace without sending it off and they sent me an email confirming that the SP3 had an issue and the store should replace it for me.

Spoke to the store and showed them the email and got a new one :)