What's new

Microsoft Surface 2: Tegra 4 CPU and 10.6″ 1080p display; Announcement Sept. 23rd

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Microsoft-Surface-Pro.jpg

The second generation Surface tablets will be launched on September 23d. Microsoft has already sent out media invites to the New York event, where it plans to announce two 10.6” tablets – Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2. The third, smaller tablet Microsoft is working on, dubbed Surface Mini, is not ready for the prime time yet.

We already told you some of the details of Surface Pro 2 – Haswell Core i5 CPU, 8 GB of RAM, improved two position kick-stand. It will also have an optional docking station with 2 USB 2.0 and one USB 3.0 port, a display port, and Ethernet port for wired Internet connections.

Microsoft Surface 2 will be the successor of Surface RT and will come with:
  • Windows 8.1 RT OS
  • Tegra 4 CPU
  • 10.6” 1080p Full HD display,
  • front and rear cameras
  • Bluetooth 4.0, Wi-fi
  • micro-SD card slot, USB 3.0, HD-video out
  • Office Home&Student RT edition
  • up to 8 hours of battery life
  • weight 1.5 pounds, thickness 0.37”
Microsoft will also have a new Power Cover accessory – attachable keyboard with built-in battery, to extend the battery life of the new tablets.

Continue Reading @: Microsoft Surface 2 will have Tegra 4 CPU and 10.6? 1080p display. Announcement on September 23d | Unwired View

oion

See:

Microsoft patent filing reveals Surface 2 kickstand features - Neowin

See also:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/surface-pro-2-details-emerge

According to Thurrott, "Microsoft has "refined" the kickstand that ships with the device. True: Surface Pro 2 (and Surface 2) will ship with an integrated two-position kickstand." (from the article linked above).

Ah. Just incomplete information in different, which is par for the course. It wouldn't make sense for Pro to have an additional angle and not the RT version, really.

Well, I'll wait and see about a multi-angle case, in any event. :p Cheaper than upgrading. 23SEP2013 will be an interesting day for this part of the industry.

kristalsoldier

Ah. Just incomplete information in different, which is par for the course. It wouldn't make sense for Pro to have an additional angle and not the RT version, really.

Well, I'll wait and see about a multi-angle case, in any event. :p Cheaper than upgrading. 23SEP2013 will be an interesting day for this part of the industry.

Yeps...

So when does the SP2 come out? Any news on specs? Glad to see more RAM and upgraded CPU. I hope to see a higher capacity HDD and a backlit Type Cover. Oh, and of course a touchpad that's on par with 2013 technology a la Macbook quality (not 1995 gen 1 touchpads). Other than those (very minor) concerns, I love the SP!