What's new

Microsoft Surface 3 4G LTE. Yes, it really does work on Verizon!

JAWSnAZ

I love my new Surface 3 4G LTE but I had a heck of a time getting it to work on Verizon's Network so I want to save you a huge headache!

The serial number and IMEI number will come up as a not compatible with Verizon device. They will say "sorry, that doesn't work on Verizon's Network". This devise is labeled as GSM network and Verizon is CDMA network. However 4G LTE is 4G LTE. You have to work around it.

The Verizon Nano Sim Card must be activated and working before you install it in to your new Surface 3 4G LTE. That means the Verizon Tech will need to use the serial number or IMEI number from another device to activate it. Then take the activated Sim Card and install it in the Surface. The Tech will be able to adjust the serial number and IMEI number back to your device after it is installed and connected to the internet through Verizon. I left Verizon with my new Surface 3 4G LTE connected to the internet and working great on Verizon's Data network.

I just saved you the 4 to 5 hours I spent talking with and being transferred from Tech to Tech at Microsoft along with a day of making multiple trips to several Verizon locations trying to get an employee capable and willing to think outside the box. I finally found her and she was super nice and very knowledgeable.

I have a Surface Pro 3 and I absolutely love it, so when the new Surface 3 with 4G LTE was released, I pre ordered it. It isn't as fast as my Pro but it is definitely an iPad Killer because that's what my new Surface 3 4G LTE just replaced for me. I am retiring my iPad and moving on to the Surface.

I hope this helps you get up and running much faster than I did. Good luck.

toaf

do you think that trick can get my Lumina 1020 on the Verizon? I would love to change to them. ATT is really sucking where I work

Yes My unlocked version DOES work too.
For weeks I did not believe the surface 3 lte unlocked actually existed and was just a dream!!

Well I have now had mine for 2 days now. and it works!! I Love it good Bye Ipad.. will miss xmotion gps though :(
It came with 8.1 which got updated to windows 10 at the store.
the windows 10 update seems to be missing a lot of features vrs my surface 3 Non Lte that came with original windows 10 installed

namely the lte version updated to windows 10 is missing speaking recognition, cortana, and other touch and feel seems quite different??

Overall lte is great and works

OP
J

JAWSnAZ

Yes My unlocked version DOES work too.
For weeks I did not believe the surface 3 lte unlocked actually existed and was just a dream!!

Well I have now had mine for 2 days now. and it works!! I Love it good Bye Ipad.. will miss xmotion gps though :(
It came with 8.1 which got updated to windows 10 at the store.
the windows 10 update seems to be missing a lot of features vrs my surface 3 Non Lte that came with original windows 10 installed

namely the lte version updated to windows 10 is missing speaking recognition, cortana, and other touch and feel seems quite different??

Overall lte is great and works

I have Windows 10 and it has Cortana and speech recondition. Dig around in the setting, I bet you get your missing stuff back.

OP
J

JAWSnAZ

do you think that trick can get my Lumina 1020 on the Verizon? I would love to change to them. ATT is really sucking where I work

I am not a Tech Guru so I would print this thread out and take it to Verizon. See if they will try.

Well a big learning curve for Telus in Canada to get the mobile card setup.

Let me save you 5 hours of tech support

the ANP setting needed to go from sp.telus to put a one in front = 1sp.telus and this setting tells telus that this is a tablet.. Now this card came out of an iPad so go figure why it needed to be changed but this change made it work right.

One problem yet to be resolved. Dropped connections between towers. I seems like as I drive down the freeway and the mobile card switches between towers I lose connection and often have to reboot to get it back??

Well this is not a problem on my iPad and so I hope we see some firmware updates to address such issues

Miles Prower

Short story:

My unlocked Surface 3 LTE, which I purchased online from the Microsoft Store, connected to Verizon's LTE service without any intervention from VZW.

Long story:

I took the SIM card from my iPad 2 Mini, stuck it into the Surface 3, and tried a bunch of obvious things to get the S3LTE up and running on Verizon — without any luck. I landed here in this thread when I Googled to see if the unlocked S3LTE is incompatible with VZW. Taking advice from the OP, I called VZW Mobile Broadband tech support, but before I could finish telling my story to the tech who answered, I stumbled upon the Airplane Mode tab in Network & Internet settings.

Frustratingly, the UI of the Network & Internet settings page doesn't inform you that you have to first visit the Airplane Mode tab to turn ON the Cellular modem, because by default, the modem is OFF. And even when the modem is off, the Cellular tab shows that you have connection bars, and it presents you with a Connect button that you can push... which leads to an endless attempt at "Connecting" without ever telling you that the radio is off!!!!

As soon as I visited the Airplane Mode page, I was able to turn on the modem, and voilà, I had working LTE service — before the VZW tech was able to do anything with my account.

Doh!

So don't forget to visit the Airplane Mode tab when you first try connecting to LTE service.

But yeah, so far, my unlocked S3LTE is working fine on VZW.

I still need help trying to restore lost LTE connections
When in bad cell area eg: a few blocks between towers the internet gets discounted.

so it does not reconnect automatically when I'm back to full bars signal.
when I click through to mobile management page it says the radio is OFF
I click through and try and reconnect and it says input new APN and fails

So in frustration I reboot and all is fine

bottom line I have to reboot after i get disconnected

Any solutions?

BigHoss

I just recently purchased a Surface 3 LTE unlocked from Microsoft as well. Threw a nano sim in it that was already activated. But Im lucky if I get a bar of service at all. I have excellent coverage in my area. Any suggestions on settings Im missing ?

leeshor

I just recently purchased a Surface 3 LTE unlocked from Microsoft as well. Threw a nano sim in it that was already activated. But Im lucky if I get a bar of service at all. I have excellent coverage in my area. Any suggestions on settings Im missing ?
Welcome to the forum

I assume it's on AT&T. Do you know for a fact that they have a great signal in your area. If so I would base the performance more on the actual throughput than the bars.