What's new

Microsoft Surface Base-Model Preorders Sell Out in Less Than 24 Hours

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
black-surface.png

Despite the fact the the final pricing on the Microsoft Surface Tablet seems to a bit high to some analysts, that didn't stop consumers from snapping up the new tablet quickly. In fact, the pre-orders for the base model of the Surface tablet have already sold out in less than 24 hours. The final launch date for the tablet will be on October 26th. Here is a quote with a few more details,

As of Wednesday morning, less than 24 hours after pre-sales went live at noon on Wednesday, shipping times for the stand-alone 32GB Microsoft Surface tablet slipped to “within 3 weeks.” Microsoft did state on Tuesday that preorder inventory would be limited, though it did not clarify how many tablets it would have on hand for pre-sales. As of the time of this writing, launch-day inventory of the 32GB Surface with a black Touch Cover ($599) and the 64GB Surface with a black Touch Cover ($699) was still available.

How many of our members jumped in on the pre-order and helped make these numbers so good?

Source: BGR

cheath

I picked up the 64g and ordered 64g microSD. Should cover any media needs that arise. Glad I did now. Just read OS, Office and standard apps eat up 12g. I figured Office would eat up space, but I hope this isn't par for the course. I can see 32g gone quick with a few games, apps and their info.

D.T. Rose

I picked up the 64g and ordered 64g microSD. Should cover any media needs that arise. Glad I did now. Just read OS, Office and standard apps eat up 12g. I figured Office would eat up space, but I hope this isn't par for the course. I can see 32g gone quick with a few games, apps and their info.

It's certainly no guarantee on my part, but I like to assume that the "12GB" of space allegedly being consumed by Windows RT and its packaged apps will be justified by a collective sense of both quality and deep-rooted productivity when it comes to the Surface. Apple's iOS may be lighter, but it's also lighter in customization and features over-all. At least this is my own optimistic point of view, as of right now.

mapexvenus

I first picked up the 64GB changed my mind, cancelled and ordered the 32GB with touch cover and then changed my mind again, cancelled and ordered the 32GB + type cover.

Even though I did all of this in less than 24 hours on 10/17, my 32GB now has a status of 'will ship 3 weeks', which means I will not have my device on launch day.

mapexvenus

That still leaves another 20 GB which is more than enough for me. Most of my docs and data will be in the cloud. I do not intend to copy my media / movies over. This will not be a laptop replacement for me. Instead, I hope it will replace my iPad for productivity usage.