What's new

microsoft surface battery life

jamie6737

How long does your device last for? Say if you just let it run without doing anything? I will use my iPhone to time it to see what I get then post back with the results.

ArnoldC

Unplugged power at 5pm yesterday, worked on it up to 1130pm last night, and as of this post the Surface RT still has battery power. I'll let it run in battery mode until I get the flashing warning.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

justkickit

Mines last a good 7 hours with normal use the battery is quite good for my use....my only gripe is connect the darn charger! lol

bosamar

My RT battery lasts about 1.5 days of normal use. It's difficult for me to state exact hours because that depends on what you are doing with it. For example, watching Netflix movies drains the battery the fastest. Just normal web browsing lasts at least 8-9 hours of use.

ArnoldC

Unplugged power at 5pm yesterday, worked on it up to 1130pm last night, and as of this post the Surface RT still has battery power. I'll let it run in battery mode until I get the flashing warning.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

Update:

5pm yesterday, removed from charger
up to 1130pm yesterday, browsing, download, games (2 hrs)
up to 8am today, stand by
up to 10am today, downloading
up to 1115am today, playing music

... 26% remains as of this post.

I think I've said enough.

Update:

It finally shuts down... 1:54pm my time.

Last edited:

Rallicat

I usually unplug about 7.30AM and take the device to work. If I don't use it at all through the day, then when I finally come to plug it back in at about 11:30 PM, I'll still have 80% battery left.

Battery life is something I've been very impressed with on the Surface RT, and it's one of the reasons why I recommend it strongly over the Pro.

rilot

I left mine in my bag from Friday through to Tuesday and it had lost 60% of the battery in that time. The standby times are pretty good.

kotten

Try using with and without the touch cover. I've noticed quite a bit of drainage while having the cover in place. Which in turn isn't all that surprising.

TeknoBlast

It all depends on what setting you have the brightness on. I have mine all the way up because I like the bright screen, but at the same time I know it eats up more battery juice. However, I'm always near a power outlet, so I dont worry about running out of battery.

mesii23

I'm averaging 7-8 hours of fairly heavy use. Seems to improve a bit with every update. Been pretty impressed with the battery life, especially with all it can do

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Chubnut

About 8 to 10 hrs fairly heavy usage. I haven't got a keyboard on it but I'm using on the train to and from work plus throughout the day. It gets plugged in just before I turn off the lights at night
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro