What's new

Microsoft Surface Book 2 - Hinge cracking noise

raghumodi

Hi,

I had purchased MS Surface book 2 in Jan 2020 and started noticing a crackling sound when closing the screen of my surface book since May 2020 of this year.

I have contacted MS and to date, they have sent me two refurbished units that had the same issue and I ended up sending them back. I have engaged MS Customer support, business support, and even MS Canada leadership team asking them to send me a brand new unit as all the replacement (refurbished units) had cosmetic issues and the same hinge noise issue which my original unit has.

Has anyone faced this issue and has been able to resolve please assist?

Thanks

Plantje

I don't have a Surface Book, but I've had quite a lot of Surface 3 and Surface Pro devices....all from customer support and I can tell you, that you will never get a new one. It will always be a refurbished device.
If you have the same issue with 3 out of 3 devices, I would look for something happening on your end. This is not to be rude, but I had a similar situation with my Surface Pro. I was handling it as gentle as I could, but time and again I would get spots of light bleed on the screen. In the end it turned out that most likely in my perfectly padded bag there was too much pressure on the devices because of lunch boxes etc that I stuffed in another part of the bag. I feel however, that customer support could have helped me better in looking for the cause.

OP
R

raghumodi

I don't have a Surface Book, but I've had quite a lot of Surface 3 and Surface Pro devices....all from customer support and I can tell you, that you will never get a new one. It will always be a refurbished device.
If you have the same issue with 3 out of 3 devices, I would look for something happening on your end. This is not to be rude, but I had a similar situation with my Surface Pro. I was handling it as gentle as I could, but time and again I would get spots of light bleed on the screen. In the end it turned out that most likely in my perfectly padded bag there was too much pressure on the devices because of lunch boxes etc that I stuffed in another part of the bag. I feel however, that customer support could have helped me better in looking for the cause.
Thanks. I have always used this device when I am WFH and since March this has been my primary device. I have been very careful in handling this device. I searched other forums and noticed that lot of people have complained about similar issue in the past.