What's new

Microsoft Surface Phones Likely Delayed Until 2017 [Rumor]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Lumia9501.jpg

According to unnamed sources, the latest intel suggests that Microsoft is planning to delay the Surface Phone until 2017. Not only that, but it looks like Microsoft is planning to finally let go of the Lumia branding for their devices.

Various reports suggest that Microsoft's plan is to reboot their hardware efforts next year. They basically want to give Windows 10 Mobile development more time to mature. The rumors further indicate that Microsoft is planning three different models: one for average consumers, one for business users, and an enthusiast/Prosumer level device.

From the sound of these rumors, Microsoft is apparently planning things very carefully for the "Surface" branded smartphones of the future. That seems like a very wise move indeed, although the delay might only make things worse as iOS and Android continue to erode Microsoft's minuscule marketshare further.

What do you folks think?

Source: Yahoo

I have a Lumia 640, but it is branded as a Microsoft phone, and thus, was expected to receive the W10 upgrade shortly after I purchased it. That upgrade is NOT going to happen now, or in the near future, but my carrier refuses to take back the phone as they deem it as a change of mind.

From what I can gather from the minimal info above, Microsoft will be dropping the Microsoft name to promote the phones as a Surface phone, and W10 won't be available for the phone until 2017. I'll try to find something 'official' and then I'll put even more pressure on my carrier. If they still won't come to the party, there is one word that usually gets things in motion, and that word is OMBUDSMAN.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a Lumia 640, but it is branded as a Microsoft phone, and thus, was expected to receive the W10 upgrade shortly after I purchased it. That upgrade is NOT going to happen now, or in the near future, but my carrier refuses to take back the phone as they deem it as a change of mind.

From what I can gather from the minimal info above, Microsoft will be dropping the Microsoft name to promote the phones as a Surface phone, and W10 won't be available for the phone until 2017. I'll try to find something 'official' and then I'll put even more pressure on my carrier. If they still won't come to the party, there is one word that usually gets things in motion, and that word is OMBUDSMAN.

What let you to believe that you would get win10? Was it promised? To me it sounds no different than buying an old android phone and then getting angry that it won't get updated to marshmallow.

When I was looking at renewing my contract, it was suggested that I go the Lumia as it was compatible with Windows, and that the 640; all Windows phones in fact, would soon be getting the upgrade to W10 to bring it in line with desktops, laptops and tablets.

Just to let you know, I installed Upgrade Advisor, followed the instructions, and got the following: The Windows 10 upgrade isn't available for your phone at the moment. We're trying to determine if your phone can support Windows 10.

So, when is a Lumia 640 not a Lumia 640?