What's new

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 vs. all the older Surfaces

Spider

Super Moderator
Staff member
By Will Shanklin February 10, 2015

Gizmag compares the features and specs of all five Microsoft Surface 2-in-1s

Image Gallery (47 images)
Microsoft did some public experimenting with the Surface lineup (and got off to quite the shaky start), but the company finally struck gold with the Surface Pro 3. Maybe you're hanging onto an older Surface, and wondering if the Pro 3 is worth the upgrade? Join Gizmag, as we compare the features and specs of the first five Surfaces.

Continue Reading @ http://www.gizmag.com/surface-pro-3...ail&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-576c911305-90541605

Arizona Willie

I have the Surface Pro I and would NOT trade it even up for a SP3.
My SPI has had NO factory defects and NO problems at all.
Yes the battery life is fairly short but I only leave home for short periods anyway ( being retired ).
I take it everywhere I go when there is a chance I might have to wait and need some reading material.
I've had it fall off my lap twice and land FLAT on it's face and it still works just fine.
Didn't hurt it a bit.
Some of the new ones you can't even pick them up by the middle with them cracking. Have to avoid picking them up near the camera.
Not my SPI. Doesn't bother it a bit and I've been picking up by the camera spot for 2 years.
I see complaints about light leakage and various and sundry other ailments that my SPI does not display.
My kickstand isn't loose, doesn't squeak, doesn't wiggle. True there is only one position but it works.
The paint isn't chipping off.

In my opinion, Microsoft saw the SPI take off and rushed the following models into production before they were ready and cheapened the quality to make greater profits ( typical American corporation ). They have pushed the 2 and the 3 out the door with quality problems and they KNEW it.

If they take their time with the SP4 and improve the quality, as reported by users here, then I will consider upgrading to it and having my owner use the SPI in place of the laptop I have her using.

But I won't change our setup for the SP2 or SP3 because of all the quality issues I've seen people complain about.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the Surface Pro I and would NOT trade it even up for a SP3.
My SPI has had NO factory defects and NO problems at all.
Yes the battery life is fairly short but I only leave home for short periods anyway ( being retired ).
I take it everywhere I go when there is a chance I might have to wait and need some reading material.
I've had it fall off my lap twice and land FLAT on it's face and it still works just fine.
Didn't hurt it a bit.
Some of the new ones you can't even pick them up by the middle with them cracking. Have to avoid picking them up near the camera.
Not my SPI. Doesn't bother it a bit and I've been picking up by the camera spot for 2 years.
I see complaints about light leakage and various and sundry other ailments that my SPI does not display.
My kickstand isn't loose, doesn't squeak, doesn't wiggle. True there is only one position but it works.
The paint isn't chipping off.

In my opinion, Microsoft saw the SPI take off and rushed the following models into production before they were ready and cheapened the quality to make greater profits ( typical American corporation ). They have pushed the 2 and the 3 out the door with quality problems and they KNEW it.

If they take their time with the SP4 and improve the quality, as reported by users here, then I will consider upgrading to it and having my owner use the SPI in place of the laptop I have her using.

But I won't change our setup for the SP2 or SP3 because of all the quality issues I've seen people complain about.
I believe the SP1 takeoff was much more like this... :)