What's new

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 Rumored To Have 4G LTE and Launch In June

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Surface-Pro-4-mockup.jpg

Microsoft's next version of Surface Pro might be launched in the July of this year, according to rumors. The device might also get the much anticipated 4G LTE feature.

"Microsoft is looking into putting out the Surface Pro 4 on July 2015. My sources say that Microsoft will reveal it on GDC and they will use that and a gaming PC plus an Xbox to show how powerful Windows 10 and DX12 is" a post by anonymous tipster read at the technology board of 4Chan.

Continue Reading @: http://www.newseveryday.com/article...pro-4-update-laplet-rumored-4g-lte-launch.htm

benjitek

I read somewhere the 4 would launch ahead of their normal product cycle, when do they usually launch?

Kif

I read somewhere the 4 would launch ahead of their normal product cycle, when do they usually launch?

So far Microsoft hasn't really had a product cycle. The SP3 launched in June so this would be approximately one year out from it. I'm sure 4G LTE would be useful for some people but I would think most people wouldn't care about it. We'll see soon enough.

benjitek

...I'm sure 4G LTE would be useful for some people but I would think most people wouldn't care about it...
Then we agree to disagree ;-) Personally, I only have need for data 2-3 times a year if I take a trip. It's at those times I wish I could turn data on and pay for a month. I had an iPad before my SP2 and that's about the only thing I miss. Very convenient having the process of activating and using data integrated into the OS for those times you have need for it.

One of those features you don't think about until you've had use of it ;-)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The majority of iPads sold are wifi only so it seems few are willing to pay a hundred extra for a rarely used feature.
I have a wifi hotspot that I use for such occasions and it works with any and all of my devices, simple and efficient.

It seems some carriers are not charging extra for tethering anymore so paying for redundant LTE seems mostly a waste especially if it's only used once or twice a year.

With that its hard to see a clear need for including LTE.

Reactions: Kif

malberttoo

The question will always be- can we justify raising the price by $xxx.00 for everyone, when only a few percent of the users are asking for the feature? I guess if sales are strong enough and Microsoft is willing to make separate models of an SP4, then we could see it. But I think as long as they are only producing one form factor, then we won't see it.

Personally, I only have need for data 2-3 times a year if I take a trip. It's at those times I wish I could turn data on and pay for a month.

I don't disagree with you there. My first iPad I did the same thing. The next iPad though was WiFi only, so I just tethered it to my phone for data. Microsoft has made the statement that they feel more people are willing to tether, than to pay extra for LTE on a Surface.

B

B'midbar

The question will always be- can we justify raising the price by $xxx.00 for everyone, when only a few percent of the users are asking for the feature? I guess if sales are strong enough and Microsoft is willing to make separate models of an SP4, then we could see it. But I think as long as they are only producing one form factor, then we won't see it.

I don't disagree with you there. My first iPad I did the same thing. The next iPad though was WiFi only, so I just tethered it to my phone for data. Microsoft has made the statement that they feel more people are willing to tether, than to pay extra for LTE on a Surface.

If the SP4 does have a top-end of 16GB RAM and 1TB drive it most assuredly will be pillage and plunder time on the '$XXX.00' price for those who take the plunge.

benjitek

The majority of iPads sold are wifi only so it seems few are willing to pay a hundred extra for a rarely used feature.
You're correct, sort of -- of the millions of iPads sold in 2014, 1 million had LTE capability -- more than 'a few', and certainly enough to warrant a market -- especially considering other years when LTE models were available. With luck, it'll be an option for purchasers of the SP4. Personal hotspots are fine when you have a device without connectivity, but built in is much more convenient.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You're correct, sort of -- of the millions of iPads sold in 2014, 1 million had LTE capability -- more than 'a few', and certainly enough to warrant a market -- especially considering other years when LTE models were available. With luck, it'll be an option for purchasers of the SP4. Personal hotspots are fine when you have a device without connectivity, but built in is much more convenient.
That would be 7.5% or maybe about 75,000 Surfaces with LTE. IMO they will need much stronger sales than that to make it worthwhile. That's just barely worth it for iPads.