What's new

Solved Microsoft Surface Pro - problem with update

nickgr

Hello all,
I bought recently used Surface Pro 128GB to use while I get my main laptop fixed(HP Omen 15) and to use as a much more mobile computer that I can carry more easily. Well I am much satisfied so far, but it has this weird problem. When I try to install the latest update it fails and it shows this message:
"2020-02 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64 (KB4537572) - Error 0x80073712"
2020-04-03.png

I searched for solutions but whatever I tried, it still persists. What do you suggest; Thank you

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried these two things:

- In settings, search for "Troubleshooter", and choose "Additional troubleshooters" from there. Find the "Windows Update Troubleshooter".
- In settings, Update and Recovery, choose Recovery, Reset this PC, and use option "Keep my files".

OP
N

nickgr

Have you tried these two things:

- In settings, search for "Troubleshooter", and choose "Additional troubleshooters" from there. Find the "Windows Update Troubleshooter".
- In settings, Update and Recovery, choose Recovery, Reset this PC, and use option "Keep my files".
I have tried the troubleshooter with no luck. The reset with the option "keep my files" keeps the programs that I have installed, or do I have to install them again;

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I have tried the troubleshooter with no luck. The reset with the option "keep my files" keeps the programs that I have installed, or do I have to install them again;

You will lose no data from your drives, including, of course, OneDrive.
Your desktop software will have to be re-installed, but the data in folders on the C:\ drive will still be there. You will have to re-install Microsoft Office from office.com, but your data and even file history will remain intact.

Here's what I did: To make installation of software easier for me, I created a .../Onedrive/Software/ folder, which has install software I may need in the future ready to go. Whenever I download uninstallable software, I also copy it to that folder.

For you, I believe the "Reset" option will likely work, and therefore is worth the trouble to end this madness!

OP
N

nickgr

You will lose no data from your drives, including, of course, OneDrive.
Your desktop software will have to be re-installed, but the data in folders on the C:\ drive will still be there. You will have to re-install Microsoft Office from office.com, but your data and even file history will remain intact.

Here's what I did: To make installation of software easier for me, I created a .../Onedrive/Software/ folder, which has install software I may need in the future ready to go. Whenever I download uninstallable software, I also copy it to that folder.

For you, I believe the "Reset" option will likely work, and therefore is worth the trouble to end this madness!
I am happy to report that I did the reset and this was the solution to this problem. Thank you for your help