What's new

Microsoft surface stream iTunes from Laptop

niv74

Stream my iTunes music on my laptop to my tablet.

Is this possible via home share or do i need a special app. Just want to listen to my music loaded onto iTunes on my laptop streamed wirelessly to my surface tablet. is this simple ???? Thanks

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

My suggestion would be to install Google Music on the laptop. It will find ALL the music and upload it to the cloud, (50,000 files is free), then it will also be available streaming from Drive.

Makes for a good backup of your music too.

OP
N

niv74

Many thanks for the quick response and suggestion but would really like to know if the iTunes option is feasible

I have streamed from my wife's computer using home share in the past. Though I haven't tried it in the past few months. iTunes has become such a smoking pile of you know what that I refuse to use it anymore.

leeshor

You could drag and drop the music files or copy/paste them to a micoSD card. I don't think you would be able to do it directly without some sort of remote access, like RDP. But I guess it might work over your network.

Why would you want to stream it anyway if the laptop would need to be there to do it? I must be missing something.

benjitek

Many thanks for the quick response and suggestion but would really like to know if the iTunes option is feasible
You can do it using Home Share, and with luck whatever you're using as a WiFi router may handle this fine -- but if it doesn't, it can be a time-dump trying to get it to work.

Your best bet is iTunes Match -- it's only $25 per year and provides a backup for your media library as well as commercial-free listening for iTunes Radio. You then have access to your library from anywhere your iPad has an internet connection, regardless of your SP...

benjitek

The reason is to avoid loading all the music onto the tablet
All the more reason for iTunes Match ;-)

It has built in memory management, downloads songs as you play them and keeps them around as long as there is space. iOS automatically dumps tracks that you've previously streamed/downloaded if space is need elsewhere.

leeshor

The reason is to avoid loading all the music onto the tablet
That was why I suggested streaming from the cloud or using a micoSD card. You can pin whatever you want to the local system for off-line then delete it when finished. Can't beat free and simple either.

is google music free, i thought t was subscription

You can add up to 50,000 songs. I downloaded the app to my wife's computer. In the background it uploads songs to the Google cloud. As new music is added to iTunes it is synced to the cloud. The only negative that I found is that the DRM'd music that I purchased from iTunes years ago is not playable.