What's new

Microsoft Trying to Make Windows RT an OS for a Line of Windows-Powered Phablets?

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
microsoft_office_sign.png

A published report on Friday says that Microsoft is considering using its Windows RT OS on a series of phablets. This was disclosed during Microsoft's Financial Analysts Meeting on Thursday in response to a question from someone attending. Microsoft's Terry Myerson responded to a question about the future of the ARM based platform used on the Microsoft Surface RT.

Myerson, who is the chief of the Redmond based firm's OS division, didn't exactly mention the phablet niche by name. First, he praised the battery life on ARM based devices. Then, he said that as phones extend into tablets, Microsoft will offer Windows ARM tablets in the future. The comment comes as Nokia prepares to introduce the Nokia Lumia 1520, the first Windows Phone phablet. Another picture of the device was discovered earlier Friday.

"Windows RT was our first ARM tablet. And as phones extend into tablets, expect us to see many more ARM tablets, Windows ARM tablets in the future."-Terry Myerson,Executive VP, Microsoft

Continue Reading@: Microsoft trying to make Windows RT an OS for a line of Windows powered phablets?

oion

IMO, MS should unbundle Office from WinRT if they're going this route. I just don't see it being usable in such a small form factor, and Office would take up too much space and computing power down the miniaturization line.

Edit to add:

It might work better if Windows RT and Office RT were unbundled on devices, but let Windows RT still include an Office RT license; MS could leave Office RT (probably the upcoming Metro versions, I imagine) in the app store for free download to WinRT users. If someone really does want to stuff their theoretical 6" WinRT phablet with that big software, more power to them. This approach may also be better for constant updates, ensuring all new Office RT users get the latest version.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I use the Mobile versions of Office on my Lumia 920, that is on a 4.3" Screen. Heck, I had a Fujitsu U810 for a long time and it had a 5" Screen, I ran Office 2007 and 2010 on it :)

oion

I use the Mobile versions of Office on my Lumia 920, that is on a 4.3" Screen. Heck, I had a Fujitsu U810 for a long time and it had a 5" Screen, I ran Office 2007 and 2010 on it :)

Crazy! Well, I did have an 8" Hitachi that ran Photoshop 4 and Office 97, but actual productivity didn't compare to having my much larger CRT at the time, and 8 is >> 4". I'm still very dubious about realistic, practical functionality in mobile miniaturization (remember the OQO).

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I loved the OQO!!!! I used the U810 and the Toshiba Libretto as my main machines, Resolution makes more of difference then screen size, the only reason I left both was the were limited to 1024x600...if they would have been 1368x768 I would still be using my Libretto :)

oion

I loved the OQO!!!! I used the U810 and the Toshiba Libretto as my main machines, Resolution makes more of difference then screen size, the only reason I left both was the were limited to 1024x600...if they would have been 1368x768 I would still be using my Libretto :)

I loved the concept, but it was doomed from the consumer market perspective. Possibly too far ahead of its time... But I also believe there is a line between "functional tool" and "novelty" when it comes to computer engineering in these mobile spaces; unfortunately, OQO was much more along the lines of novelty. The screen was far too small and Windows far too touch-unfriendly for real mobile use (at least there was a stylus), and battery life was pretty dismal. The Hitachi VBT was too small for me for any extended mobile use, but the Fujitsu P-series with 10.x" screens were great. (YMMV)

Things are certainly evolving with the current direction in the phablet niche (like the Sony Xperia Z Ultra), but there's only so much linguistic data you can show to human eyes on small screens on top of input limitations short of dictation (not in public), and that has direct bearing on measurable productivity for most people, I imagine. At work, everyone has dual widescreen monitors, and then everyone complains when they have to use the laptop in solo.