What's new

Microsoft Warranty Service - Be Careful!!!

mikejg

Microsoft's repair centre arranged and paid for the shipment. They are responsible for dealing with damage during shipping. They should have a process for dealing with these situations. And if the packing was insufficient, they should have contacted you to discuss the problem, not just sent your Surface back. This is ridiculously horrible customer service. Don't accept it. I would definitely be complaining to Microsoft.

Almost every time I have had to send something back for repair I was sent me a box to use. And the one time when the depot was not able to make a repair under warranty they called me to discuss my options.

When the device arrived with a cracked screen did they assume you would just throw it in the garbage? Why wouldn't they at least tell you the cost to fix it and offer that option?

malberttoo

For anyone else sending back anything to anyone, take date stamped photos in advance.

+1

You guys might say it's overkill, but twice now I have had to ship high-dollar items, and both times I got out the camcorder that put a time and date stamp overlay on the video. I picked a spot on the box and make a mark, visible in the video, and then taped up that spot so it would be obvious by torn cardboard if the tape had been removed. I recorded the thing going in, being taped up, and the finished, undamaged box.

Probably took a half hour or so of time... but no way was I going to be caught in the middle like the OP. Threads like this just reinforce my determination... :)

wynand32

While it's a great idea to document things before you ship them (I do that with anything work any kind of money), I agree with @mikejg that Microsoft needs to take responsibility here. The reason seems simple to me: had they contacted the OP IMMEDIATELY upon receiving the SP3 in a damaged condition, that would be one thing. But, now that they've processed it in some fashion, they've broken the chain of evidence, so to speak: it's impossible to say that the damage actually occurred during the original shipping and not, for example, at some point after that. Specifically, it's impossible to say that additional damage didn't occur when they shipped it back in the same box.

Aeron15

When I got my SP3 from the courier, I opened the box and it had no cushions or whatsoever. the box it came on was like twice the thickness of the box of the SP3 so I imagine my SP3 was bouncing around all the time while being shipped. I was amazed it was working fine when I opened it.

OP
Z

zusiol

Unfortunatelly Microsoft Poland doesn't want to deal with that issue because Surface 3 is not yet available in Polnad, and the online service is no longer accessible for this serial number because the warranty has been revoked, and nobody even tried to contact me. The only e-mail that I've recieved said that my item OR a replacement is being shipped back to me. Everything is automated! I tried calling Microsoft Netherlands because there was a Netherlands adress, but with no luck. Yesterday I tweeted about that, @surface replied reffering me back to the online support which is terminated for my surface..... My further replies where just ignored. This is Microsoft Customer Service.

mohcho

So how did you purchase it in the first place? Online directly from the Microsoft store? As others have said, if you went through the proper MS channels for repair, they are responsible for the damage as it was their shipping provider as they gave you a return waybill.

Nucleon

Ouch, those pictures. Though I'd have to agree with everyone else, you can trust couriers with fragile objects these days as much as you can trust them to bring you stuff on time. When I shipped my Xbox 360 5-6 years ago to get it repaired, I put it in a box with bubble wrap, and then put that in another box with air pockets. I got the machine back in different packaging within a week.

OP
Z

zusiol

To summarize this thread - after a month of exchanging e-mail I have managed to return my broken surface and got a replacement with my warranty service renewed. Microsoft has taken the blame for the faulty shipment and after finally getting to the right department everything went very smooth.

The lesson here is to use sturdier boxes next time!

Reactions: Kif

jake

I would NEVER ship anything of value without full insurance coverage, especially fragile electronics. If you insured you have no problem. If you didn't it's your fault.

You need to re-read his comment Microsoft ship the item back to OP.

malberttoo

To summarize this thread - after a month of exchanging e-mail I have managed to return my broken surface and got a replacement with my warranty service renewed. Microsoft has taken the blame for the faulty shipment and after finally getting to the right department everything went very smooth.

The lesson here is to use sturdier boxes next time!

Awesome! Glad you got a happy resolution out of this, and a lesson to all in packing materials....:D

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Moral of the story, don't cut corners on the packing and just ship it. Pack it and pack it good.