What's new

Microsoft Wedge Keyboard & Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Mouse Bluetooth problems with SP3

VickiFL

Ok, I jinxed myself. My Microsoft Wedge Keyboard and Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Mouse are giving me problems connecting via Bluetooth. It really upsets me because these are Microsoft products, and when I talked to tech support, they had no idea what to do. She actually wanted to make an appointment at the MS Store for me to see a tech because she honestly didn't know what to do. Seriously? These are YOUR products, not another brand.

I finally got them both to connect (on my own, just trying over and over), but they failed over and over, before that, and I don't know why. If the problem raises my blood pressure, it bothers me, lol

Does anyone else have these products, and have Bluetooth issues?

Sure, I could just attach my purple type cover and forget it, but I really like these, and I just want them to work. o_O

PCAnyWhere

Sorry to hear this. Are you testing this with just one of the devices at a time? Do you still have time to return the mouse or keyboard to see if a different one would work? however since both have issues it may be something that is either interfering or an issues with the BT adapter in your SP3.

OP
VickiFL

VickiFL

Thank you. I have other Bluetooth devices connected to my SP3, the Surface pen and a Bluetooth speaker. Neither of which I use all the time, but never unpair.

I just registered the keyboard and mouse with Microsoft, but no MS Complete. They are usually both turned on when I boot up my Surface. Should I be doing something differently?

PCAnyWhere

For my BT mouse (RAT M) I usually turn it on AFTER but that should not make a difference as it appears that you get connected and then it drops.

I forgot about the pen. now that isn't spotty or disconnect does it? I have seen other posts where people report the pen being intermittent.

if you remove the pen and the speaker and only use one of the keyboard and mouse how does this function? when I refer to remove - I mean to power them off or to remove them beyond the bluetooth range (theoretically 200ft). I'm sure you can power off the speaker. Pen not too sure if you can just remove the main batteries or you need to remove the button cells. I know this is extreme; but just trying to eliminate interference or saturation completely.

OP
VickiFL

VickiFL

My pen has never given me a problem, ever, neither has the speaker. I asked an MS tech if you can have too many Bluetooth devices paired at once, and he said no.

I actually don't get connected, then drop. I turn on my SP3 expecting this mouse and keyboard to work, and they don't. My type cover always works on boot up. I could try unpairing the other devices, but that would really suck if I have to re-pair an item every time I want to use it. They are never all connected at the same time. The most devices connected via Bluetooth was only once, the keyboard, mouse and speaker.

bluegrass

You didn't say how long you've had them but I would certainly make an appointment and take them into a MS store and let a tech there do some hands on troubleshooting. As a tech I know that it is a whole lot better to have hands on time with equipment when troubleshooting. You were lucky if you were able to communicate clearly with online tech support. I've heard that they farmed out online support overseas, although I don't have first hand experience with Microsoft but I have with other manufacturers and it can be harrowing understanding heavily accented support staff.

That said, I assume that the phone support person asked you to do the basics such as impairing both the keyboard and the mouse and start over. Possibly a re-boot to clear out the system before trying these. I have some Bluetooth keyboards and mice and I have had similar difficulties with mine. I have a wedge mouse from MS along with another manufacturer. My keyboard wasn't a Microsoft either. I found that USB mice and keyboards seem to work much better so I've switched to using USB devices now.

OP
VickiFL

VickiFL

I may have to end up taking them into the store if this problem persists, but I can't at the moment because I am ill. I may try to get a hold of Surface tech support here in the US too, probably tomorrow.

I have paired and unpaired these devices so many times that I lost count. (the MS keyboard and mouse) I've had both less than a week, and was about to get them registered with Microsoft today.

OP
VickiFL

VickiFL

I'm really sorry you're going through all this hassle, especially while you're sick. Good luck.

Thanks, I appreciate that.

Oh, I did call Microsoft to register my new keyboard and mouse, and was told that they do not register these products. o_O

I was told to just keep my receipt. Ok......:rolleyes:

nipponham

Just to confirm, you're able to pair the devices and have them connect but they drop out intermittently? If so, have you checked to make sure that Bluetooth power management has been disabled?

OP
VickiFL

VickiFL

Just to confirm, you're able to pair the devices and have them connect but they drop out intermittently? If so, have you checked to make sure that Bluetooth power management has been disabled?

I have been having problems with them both connecting on boot up, intermittently. This morning, I took the cover off the keyboard, but left the mouse turned off. After logging in, I turned the mouse on, and they both worked properly. My husband thinks having them both on during boot up was more than the SP3 could handle. I should have only been connecting one device at a time.

Are you running your Wi-Fi on 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz? The former is known to cause problems with the Surface Bluetooth radio.

We have 2.4GHz.

Last edited: