What's new

Microsoft Will Re-Release Surface Pro 2 Firmware Earlier Than Expected

TrentonT

Dec. 23, 2013 Paul Thurrott
Good news. They listened.
"To ensure the best experience for our customers, we have taken steps to remove the update for Surface Pro 2 that was previously published through Windows Update on December 10th, 2013," a new quote provided by the company says. "We are working to release an alternative update package as soon as possible."
To be clear, "as soon as possible" is much better than "after the holidays," which means "sometime in January." It could still end up being January, for all I know. After all, it will take some time to fix the problem and test it accordingly. But it's nice to know that someone is actually working on it now and not leaving this hanging out there until 2014.
So a thoughtful tip of the hat to the Surface team. This is absolutely the right thing to do, and it's appreciated.

Thanks Paul

chipgallo

Are the driver updates from the 12th OK to install? I saw some discussion about the Bluetooth one. It is a gift and I would rather not have to troubleshoot on Christmas Eve.

OP
TrentonT

TrentonT

I would not install anything from the Dec 12th update
Microsoft has to my knowledge made no statement other than to withdraw them
They have completely screwed up my surface 2 Pro and it is almost unusable.

Zkyevolved

I updated my device, and while battery life isn't good in sleep mode, to say it's unusable is absurd. I used it all day today on battery to browse, read and edit some pictures with fireworks and battery life has been spectacular. I have been putting it in hibernate instead of sleep. Fantastic device with a hiccup.