What's new

Microsoft Wireless Diplay

puma

Anyone get their hands on one of these yet? I have a question, set up keeps saying you just connect to TV, and then open charms, go to devices, project.. and I should see "Add wireless display" but I do not see this. I made sure I have all the latest updates from windows too.

Anyone else encounter this?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen other complain that installing the Cisco VPN client disables the ability to add a Wireless Display.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've seen other complain that installing the Cisco VPN client disables the ability to add a Wireless Display.
True, Cisco believes any connections outside the VPN are security leaks. stopping the client *should* free up other connections... {maybe}

yonghong

how is this cute little thing, can't wait to get it ,sadly education 10% off deal can't be on this, can I get it somewhere a little bit cheaper than this, it's just too expensive. I was going to get netgear pushtotv, but when I see this little thing coming ,just wait for it.

riggi

If anyone has this new MS wireless display adaptor and a Screenbeam or Ptv3000, can you compare the lag between the devices?
I have the Screenbeam, and the lag makes it too annoying to use as a 2nd monitor for work. It's OK for a 2nd display to display a presentation or show a video (anything where you don't need to interact with the 2nd display). But, the lag means that if you extend the desktop and then try and do things life moving the mouse to select items, click on small buttons etc., it's not really workable. I could put up with it for a few minutes in a pinch, but not for working all day.
If the MS adaptor has less lag, then I might spring for it.

lonaysta

I used PTV3000 for several days and now have MS wireless adapter. Umm I don't think the lag is less.....And in fact I really have no luck with all these Miracast devices....Always disconnects, no matter PTV3000 or this new one by Microsoft. Sigh...

yonghong

I used PTV3000 for several days and now have MS wireless adapter. Umm I don't think the lag is less.....And in fact I really have no luck with all these Miracast devices....Always disconnects, no matter PTV3000 or this new one by Microsoft. Sigh...

these use wifi to mirror, is it right? ,if no wifi ,can they work?

lonaysta

Yeah GreyFox7 is right. Miracast uses a technology called "WiFi Direct", which is also used for some WiFi enabled cameras (to transfer files to phones). This does not need a router or Internet access to work. In fact this is a high light for selling Microsoft Wireless Display Adpater...
My Adapter becomes quite hot even if idle for some minutes. Is that normal? I really do not know how to better configure this device...And according to tech specs, this adapter supports 5GHz WiFi. Since I have many 2.4GHz devices around, switching to 5GHz might improve the performance...But there is no way to do that!
Anyway, the overall experience till now is quite disappointing. Hard to connect, hard to stay connected...
I used different monitors and different Surface Pro 3s, but the performance is never good to say "acceptable"..

Nuspieds

Anyone get their hands on one of these yet? I have a question, set up keeps saying you just connect to TV, and then open charms, go to devices, project.. and I should see "Add wireless display" but I do not see this. I made sure I have all the latest updates from windows too.

Anyone else encounter this?
Mine arrived today and I ran into the same boat...no "Add a Wireless Display" option for me, either. :(

I saw the other posts about VPN, running a VM, etc., but I do not have those things installed and I have all the Windows Updates as well.

Nuspieds

After some additional trial-and-error this morning, I finally got it to work! :D

It was working fine on my SP1 and I started to do a system comparison of running processes, services, etc., but nothing out of the ordinary stood out. However, I recall reading a post somewhere and it stated that an MS WiFi Adapter driver had to be running and that's when I noticed I had all sorts of "duplicate" entries (all due to a particular software I had installed) on my SP2.

So that led me to think that maybe there are other lesser-known apps that could also be the culprit. I decided to delete (uninstall) all those adapters, rebooted, checked for Windows Updates one last time, then I tried Charms Menu > Devices > Project and there was a link at the bottom to "Connect to a different display" and that's when it presented me with the option to add a Wireless Display. The "Connect" link never appeared before.

Now everything is working and I must say that, so far, the device is working great!