What's new

Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter problems

I just purchased this -- this adapter doesn't work as advertised, at least when used with a MS SP3. It won't do HD 1920 resolution unless Bluetooth is disabled, and it won't connect at all if you have Oracle VM Virtual Box installed. In both cases you need to disable settings for it to work.

Anyone else experience these problems with the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter and a Surface Pro 3?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I just purchased this -- this adapter doesn't work as advertised, at least when used with a MS SP3. It won't do HD 1920 resolution unless Bluetooth is disabled, and it won't connect at all if you have Oracle VM Virtual Box installed. In both cases you need to disable settings for it to work.

Anyone else experience these problems with the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter and a Surface Pro 3?
VirtualBox creates a virtual switch that disables WiFiDirect and unfortunately the only away around it is disabling. The reduction to 720p with Bluetooth was an issue introduced in the Intel GMA Driver due to contention, it was fixed with one of the later Firmware Updates.

OP
R

Relativity

Are you referring to the SP3 firmware, or the MWDA firmware? I think I've updated both to the latest within the past month, unless one was recently released? The VirtualBox issue i corrected by simply disabling one of the Virtual adapters network properties (I can turn it back on when required) but the Bluetooth issue is a little annoying.

OP
R

Relativity

Unfortunately, the firmware (both surface pro 3 and wireless display adapter) does not correct the 720p issue.
only if you disable bluetooth, is 1080p available.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, the firmware (both surface pro 3 and wireless display adapter) does not correct the 720p issue.
only if you disable bluetooth, is 1080p available.
Are you using 2.4 GHz wireless? If so, do you have 5GHz available?

OP
R

Relativity

If that's true then its likely something with the Intel HD Video driver that is checking the quality of the connection it can support. The option for 1080p is not there...so there must be some sort of pre-check. I'll see if disabling WiFi and leaving Bluetooth on works.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If that's true then its likely something with the Intel HD Video driver that is checking the quality of the connection it can support. The option for 1080p is not there...so there must be some sort of pre-check. I'll see if disabling WiFi and leaving Bluetooth on works.
Disabling WiFi will also disable Miracast....

OP
R

Relativity

Disabling WiFi will also disable Miracast....

You're right. WiFi has to be ON, but you don't require to have a wireless network connection for it to work.

Just downloaded a new SP3 Firmware right now as I'm typing this. Fingers crossed.....

update: firmware did not solve the problem.

Last edited: