What's new

Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter with a monitor

jefhart

Does anyone know if you can use the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter to connect a second external monitor? I mainly want to use the second monitor to write code. I considered getting 2 Dell u2715h's and daisy-chaining them but there seems to be a lot of problems with those.

Right now I am using the dock with a DP -> hdmi adapter to one monitor. I know the MS adapter was designed for tvs but I don't see why it wouldn't work with a monitor.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
HDMI (actually HDCP in HMDI) only allows the one connection and because Miracast is Wireless HDMI you would need to use either a DP or USB with the Wireless Display.

OP
jefhart

jefhart

I'm sorry, I don't follow. How would you use DP or USB with a wireless display? I thought the whole point was there were no cables.

Nuspieds

Does anyone know if you can use the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter to connect a second external monitor? I mainly want to use the second monitor to write code. I considered getting 2 Dell u2715h's and daisy-chaining them but there seems to be a lot of problems with those.

Right now I am using the dock with a DP -> hdmi adapter to one monitor. I know the MS adapter was designed for tvs but I don't see why it wouldn't work with a monitor.
I don't have a dock for my SP2; in my setup, I have two external daisy-chained monitors.

When I elect to project to the WDA, the two external monitors go blank and I now only have my TV as a second, external monitor. Thus, I am able to project only to my WDA or only to my daisy-chained monitors; I do not have the ability to simply add the WDA/TV as a third external monitor when I am projecting to my two daisy-chained monitors.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sorry, I don't follow. How would you use DP or USB with a wireless display? I thought the whole point was there were no cables.
Sorry....I was under the impression you wanted 2 external monitors..... if you want just want one Wireless will work.

OP
jefhart

jefhart

Sorry....I was under the impression you wanted 2 external monitors..... if you want just want one Wireless will work.
No, you were right. What you're saying is the wireless device uses the same protocol as the hdmi cable, so it is an either/or situation? I kinda wanted one of these for my tv anyways, so it won't go to waste.

OP
jefhart

jefhart

I don't have a dock for my SP2; in my setup, I have two external daisy-chained monitors.

When I elect to project to the WDA, the two external monitors go blank and I now only have my TV as a second, external monitor. Thus, I am able to project only to my WDA or only to my daisy-chained monitors; I do not have the ability to simply add the WDA/TV as a third external monitor when I am projecting to my two daisy-chained monitors.
Have you had any problems with your daisy chain setup? A lot of reviews say there are hiccups with the Dells.

Nuspieds

Have you had any problems with your daisy chain setup? A lot of reviews say there are hiccups with the Dells.
No, my Dell setup has worked flawlessly from the outset; however, I am very much aware of those posts from others who have problems. The only difference that I noticed is that I am using the 30" Dell monitors and they are not.

Due to a previous and unrelated incident, I am definitely not a Dell fan; however, I have nothing but positive comments regarding daisy-chaining from my Dell U3014 to the U3011 because it has always worked.