What's new

Microsoft wireless display and Bluetooth Speakers Compability

lanceamr

As stated, i'm planning to purchase the Microsoft wireless display but I wish to know whether the SP3 can connect to both the Microsoft wireless display and Bluetooth speakers at the same time. I wish to attain visual on the monitor while the Bluetooth speakers produces the sound. Will it work ? Hope someone can enlighten me before I make my purchase.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
As stated, i'm planning to purchase the Microsoft wireless display but I wish to know whether the SP3 can connect to both the Microsoft wireless display and Bluetooth speakers at the same time. I wish to attain visual on the monitor while the Bluetooth speakers produces the sound. Will it work ? Hope someone can enlighten me before I make my purchase.

I will be back in front of a Bluetooth speaker sometime this evening so will test if I remember/no one else has jumped in with in an answer

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanx for helping me

I can confirm that under windows 10 I was able to play audio through my bose soundlink 2 while using the WDA to watch via an HDTV. Initially I connected to the WDA, and then tried to connect to the speaker and it disconnected the WDA (think this was more a crash than an intentional disconnect) so then I connected to the speaker, and then to the WDA, and all worked fine.

OP
L

lanceamr

I can confirm that under windows 10 I was able to play audio through my bose soundlink 2 while using the WDA to watch via an HDTV. Initially I connected to the WDA, and then tried to connect to the speaker and it disconnected the WDA (think this was more a crash than an intentional disconnect) so then I connected to the speaker, and then to the WDA, and all worked fine.

Thats great news. Thanks for checking out for me. Will purchase it and test on my device. Hope it works with win 8.1.

OP
L

lanceamr

Tested, the item. But very disappointed on its capabilities.

Here's what I tried :
1. Tried connecting to Bluetooth speaker and WDA using SP3. (Works)
2.Connecting to SP3 first, then switching to custom rom android phone. (Works 2x different phones)
3. Connecting to SP3 first , then switching to another win 8.1 tablets. (Failed)
4. Connecting to SP3 first, then switching to stock rom android phone. (Failed 3x different phones)
5.Connecting other devices first then SP3. (Fails)

So, with the limitations of what it can do. IMHO it was a bad purchase as I wanted to use it for presentations with others also,who wishes to use it with their own laptops. Does yours work well with other win 8.1 tablets? Maybe mine might be a defective unit.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I don't own any Android devices, but I connect mine to my S3, SP3, DVP8 and Lumia 1520 all work as expected....

OP
L

lanceamr

I don't own any Android devices, but I connect mine to my S3, SP3, DVP8 and Lumia 1520 all work as expected....

Hmmm. Then mine must be a defective unit considering you can connect with 3 different win 8.1 tablets with different screen res.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm. Then mine must be a defective unit considering you can connect with 3 different win 8.1 tablets with different screen res.
Before thinking its defective, have you updated to latest firmware (App is in the Store), how much Bluetooth interference is in the area, is your primary WiFi 2.4GHz or 5GHz?

Miracast is Wireless HDMI utilizing WiFi Direct and it is a broad standard and not every device plays well with every adapter and interference does come into play....

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member

While Jnjroach offers a useful post, I have to say that when I was first doing the youtube review trawl, I came across a number of videos with nothing good to say about the WDA, but also offered follow up videos having had the WDA replaced and all their issues were sorted (which could mean they were defective, or it could simply be that the new ones had newer firmware)

I had no issue at all swapping between my win 10 SP3 and my 8.1 S3 (can no longer test as they are both win 10 now)

OP
L

lanceamr

Before thinking its defective, have you updated to latest firmware (App is in the Store), how much Bluetooth interference is in the area, is your primary WiFi 2.4GHz or 5GHz?

Miracast is Wireless HDMI utilizing WiFi Direct and it is a broad standard and not every device plays well with every adapter and interference does come into play....

1. Yes, wda and my tablets have up to date software.
2. What do you mean by bluetooth interference. Can you refine further? Is it things that are connected to my tablets ?
3. My wifi is 2.4ghz

Hope that helps.
Thanks for helping too

OP
L

lanceamr

While Jnjroach offers a useful post, I have to say that when I was first doing the youtube review trawl, I came across a number of videos with nothing good to say about the WDA, but also offered follow up videos having had the WDA replaced and all their issues were sorted (which could mean they were defective, or it could simply be that the new ones had newer firmware)

I had no issue at all swapping between my win 10 SP3 and my 8.1 S3 (can no longer test as they are both win 10 now)

I have yet to try swapping with another surface device. Will get the windows 10 by the end of the month and try it. If the problem persists, i will try getting a replacement.