What's new

Microsoft Word can't keep up with my typing

joemader

Today is the first day I've used my touch cover to type more than instant messages. I've been using it to write in Microsoft Word, and the text on the screen just doesn't show up as quickly as I type on the touch cover, which can be frustrating if you watch your words when you type for errors ect.

The text is keeping up with my typing just fine during this post...so it must be something in Microsoft Word that's slowing it down?

Just wondering if this was noticed by anyone else, hopefully an update will fix it; certainly when we get Office Full it'll be fixed...

J515OP

Super Moderator
This has been noted in many reviews of the Surface RT. It may help to close any unnecessary apps or browser tabs to help speed things up, since it has been pointed out that it can be easy to forget this isn't a desktop and have many, many things open at once which can bog down performance.

OP
J

joemader

just closed all apps besides Desktop running Word (and only Word) and if I begin typing quickly...the 'click' sounds of the keyboard keep up with me but the screen is immediately behind (if that phrase makes any sense). I can be 10 words in by the time the 3rd is displayed. This is disconcerting.

mrasmussen

just closed all apps besides Desktop running Word (and only Word) and if I begin typing quickly...the 'click' sounds of the keyboard keep up with me but the screen is immediately behind (if that phrase makes any sense). I can be 10 words in by the time the 3rd is displayed. This is disconcerting.

Unless you are a person that speed of typing is in the top 5%, this definitely needs to be addressed. Did you ever type in word on other tablets? I believe office is available for iOS possibly Android as well.

OP
J

joemader

I've never typed in Word in other tablets.

This morning, after shutting down and charging my surface...Word seems to keep up with my typing. weird. Maybe she was just tired.