What's new

Microsoft’s aggressive tablet strategy might finally pay off

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
bgr-surface-2-surface-pro-2-12.jpg

It’s taken a while but 2014 looks like the year when Windows tablets will finally break through. Barron’s points us to a new survey of American and European CIOs conducted by Bernstein Research showing that “81% of CIOs issue/plan to issue Windows tablets, up dramatically from 56% six months ago, and nearly in line with iPads.” This is particularly important for Microsoft because the rise in corporate interest for Windows tablets has coincided with a collapse in corporate interest for Android tablets: According to Bernstein, only...

Continue Reading @: Microsoft tablet sales: 2014 buying intentions surge | BGR

oion

Like I commented elsewhere, even if the niche Surface line doesn't take off, the fact that its existence created such a "newsworthy" stir even to the point of popular press/bloggers hating it and pointing to other Windows devices--that still meant that Microsoft would win in the end. Though MS says they're moving to a devices-services model, Windows as a product is such a huge deal in the corporate world that this tablet brouhaha is necessary for evolution in the mobile space. IT likes unified platform support. I suppose this is the turnaround point for the maligned (yet still more market share than Mac OS X) Windows 8.x; I really like it on Surface, but hate it on the cheap netbook my dad bought.

oion

I think that's the difference between the corporate space and consumer space, though, and the OP is about the corporate space. Microsoft has a big uphill battle in the consumer space, which is what those advertisements are aimed at, and Microsoft outside of Xbox and whatever had never really targeted the consumer market for computing. I would say this second-generation marketing campaign has certainly improved compared to first-gen, but Microsoft is still misstepping in some places. Attack ads are lame all around anyway. Meh.

But this has nothing to do with Windows tablets in the corporate space. So back on topic.

Chromebooks are not tablets, nor are they intended for corporate use. iPads have been shoe-horned in the BYOD scheme, but that's going to lose traction over time with Win 8 tablet/hybrid devices that cover both the laptop and tablet side of things, and with corporate Windows platform to boot. That's Microsoft's vision, I suppose. Will it work? Win8 has a much higher chance of adoption if people can use it in tablet form, IMO...

Johntxk

There is a place for the Chromebook. My wife is a very intelligent woman but she is not tech-savvy. She uses her Chromebook daily and I no longer have to fix her laptop. She even loves how Google knows what ads to send her. More importantly though, because she no longer hates tech, I can buy just about whatever I want. And before you ask, yes, it was my idea to get her the Chromebook.

Arizona Willie

I don't see how a Chromebook would be appropriate for a business environment.

You CANNOT run Office on it. I doubt you can run ANY spreadsheet or production level programs on it.

It's a toy for kids.

kodos

I don't see how a Chromebook would be appropriate for a business environment.

You CANNOT run Office on it. I doubt you can run ANY spreadsheet or production level programs on it.

It's a toy for kids.

You can run Google Apps on it. For instance, my company uses Google Apps for everything - Spreadsheets, Documents, Presentations. Personally? I prefer Office (though collaborating in Google Docs is pretty nice).

Microsoft would ignore Chromebooks at their own peril. The total cost of that infrastructure, including lowered cost of security, etc. can be very tantalizing to businesses - which is Microsoft's remaining stranglehold in computing.

I think Microsoft learned their lesson by ignoring what Apple was doing with the iPhone and iPad. That said, attack ads are hardly the way to go about it - I'd rather they just make Windows better. For the first time in a long time, I'm fairly satisfied with a Windows machine (my Surface Pro 2). It still has issues I didn't have on my Macs, but I am very encouraged by where Microsoft is going. I'm especially excited by Bay Trail and what that means for small Windows machines. Microsoft is close, but they need to dig in and focus some more.

kristalsoldier

You can run Google Apps on it. For instance, my company uses Google Apps for everything - Spreadsheets, Documents, Presentations. Personally? I prefer Office (though collaborating in Google Docs is pretty nice).

Microsoft would ignore Chromebooks at their own peril. The total cost of that infrastructure, including lowered cost of security, etc. can be very tantalizing to businesses - which is Microsoft's remaining stranglehold in computing.

I think Microsoft learned their lesson by ignoring what Apple was doing with the iPhone and iPad. That said, attack ads are hardly the way to go about it - I'd rather they just make Windows better. For the first time in a long time, I'm fairly satisfied with a Windows machine (my Surface Pro 2). It still has issues I didn't have on my Macs, but I am very encouraged by where Microsoft is going. I'm especially excited by Bay Trail and what that means for small Windows machines. Microsoft is close, but they need to dig in and focus some more.

By that logic the focus should be on the RT platform and expanding its app-ecosystem. It is inherently more secure than the x86 platform and it makes much lesser demands on battery life.