What's new

Microsoft's first consumer Surface was released five years ago today on Oct. 26, 2012

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reference - Microsoft's first consumer Surface was released five years ago today on Oct. 26, 2012

Exactly five years ago to the day, Microsoft released it first Surface device aimed at consumers, then known only as "Microsoft Surface," but it eventually became known as the "Surface RT." It started a Windows revolution.

Surface RT definitely wasn't Microsoft's most impressive Surface ever ... but it represents the initial stepping stone on a path that led to Microsoft creating its own PC hardware, and with it, an example of exactly what the Windows experience can and should be.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe not exactly what the Windows experience can and should be but it did advance the cause.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I am writing this from a very crowded airport departure gate in the USA, where I see about as many Notebook PCs and tablets as Macs and iPads, among all generations - including some kids. When overseas, I notice more of the former.

I believe the Surface venture has maintained a market share among gererations, and as @GreyFox7 says, has advanced the cause.

Today’s main concerns: Food, water, shelter, health, battery life.

toaf

crazy its been this long.. still love my surfaces a shame they haven't changed much. all it needs is a "super dock" and battery keyboard again.