What's new

Might get another Surface this time just the 2 not pro [question help]

sillyrabbitt123

1- i see my printer hp 8500a plus office jet is not compatible with rt 8.1 is there anyway to make that work at all? if not what is a good printer that will work with the surface 2

2- how much actual usable space would i have on a 32gb version?

3- is the surface 2 useable for work or do i need to buy office for business related work? i know it comes with office and thats awesome. i guess i am saying what will i be missing [like websites that might not work etc...] just want to figure out what i dont know that i dont even know i will miss

4-thanks!

Last edited:

beman39

1)I have the Epson nx330 with WiFi and it works perfectly
2) as for space, I have 14GB left over and that's with games installed! But you can put a 64GB micro SD for more room!
3) and as for work, that depends on what kind of work that your definition is, for word documents and more, it's more than efficient.

OP
S

sillyrabbitt123

[1] thanks for the info to be more clear i mean 64gb unit has what really left to install on out of the box? the OS takes up a bunch of space? is it more like 50gb?

[2] am i reading this correct the office included is only for home use? can i use it for my job or i need to buy another version?

[3] work wise i would be using outlook, word, pp, surfing the web for info thats it.

[4] will most sites work on the surface? or some wont?

thanks

beman39

[1] thanks for the info to be more clear i mean 64gb unit has what really left to install on out of the box? the OS takes up a bunch of space? is it more like 50gb?
Well I bought my wife the 64gb and the HD is 55.4 and she is left with 49.8GB

[2] am i reading this correct the office included is only for home use? can i use it for my job or i need to buy another version?

That's only the Eula that says only for home, but let's be honest who really follows that?! Lol everyone uses it at work too!

[3] work wise i would be using outlook, word, pp, surfing the web for info thats it.

S2 is more than adequate!

[4] will most sites work on the surface? or some wont?

All sites work for me, never ran into one that didn't

kristalsoldier

Based on your requirements, the Surface 21 would work perfectly. I speak from personal experience. The only place where I seem to be having a problem is with my WiFi printer. I have the wireless HP 3250 printer and am having problems connecting over the WiFi. However, when I plugged it into the USB port of the Surface 2, it was recognized immediately and I printed out some documents with no issues. I have no idea why the wireless printer is not being recognized by my Surface and my desktop machine. It must be that I am not doing something right. Other than that, the Surface is performing like a champion.

OP
S

sillyrabbitt123

any issues connecting to your company and sync emails works fine? thanks

Does anyone know if splashtop streamer will work on RT?

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
To use the Surface 2 in a business environment you need an EA that will grandfather the Office License to extend to Devices or have an Office365 E1 or higher subscription. Your printer may work using the HP Class Driver, worth a test.

OP
S

sillyrabbitt123

anyone use spalshtop? do they make a version for rt 8.1 to stream the surface 2 to a pc? thanks

or could i remote desktop from my 8.1 desktop right into the surface 2 and totally control everything on the surface 2? thats ususally how i work. instead of a dock. over wifi doing some kind of remote

Last edited:

beman39

there's 2 ways to connect to your PC, Splashtop which I find works better, or remote desktop connection which both are free in the app store, and do work. I use splashtop all the time and LUV IT!

oion

anyone use spalshtop? do they make a version for rt 8.1 to stream the surface 2 to a pc? thanks

or could i remote desktop from my 8.1 desktop right into the surface 2 and totally control everything on the surface 2? thats ususally how i work. instead of a dock. over wifi doing some kind of remote

There is Splashtop, Teamviewer, and Windows 8/RT's own Remote Desktop, the last of which requires Windows pro/enterprise variants to work (so trying to access Windows "home" computers won't work).

OP
S

sillyrabbitt123

there's 2 ways to connect to your PC, Splashtop which I find works better, or remote desktop connection which both are free in the app store, and do work. I use splashtop all the time and LUV IT!

Thank you for all the info. To be clear what I want to do is go from the
Pc to remote control the surface 2. Is that possible in anyway with splashtop
Or a built in ms feature ??

THANKS