Might get another Surface this time just the 2 not pro [question help]

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for all the info. To be clear what I want to do is go from the
Pc to remote control the surface 2. Is that possible in anyway with splashtop
Or a built in ms feature ??

THANKS

As far as I know the Windows RT is only capable of being a Client, it doesn't have any Server capabilities. So no, there isn't a way to remote into the Surface 2.

beman39

I don't think you can go from desktop to Surface 2, it only works 1 way which is S2 to desktop, same thing with homegroup only works 1 way and I did see a post in here how to make the Surface accessible from the desktop with homegroup but I never got it working.

OP
S

sillyrabbitt123

There is Splashtop, Teamviewer, and Windows 8/RT's own Remote Desktop, the last of which requires Windows pro/enterprise variants to work (so trying to access Windows "home" computers won't work).

Thanks all for the help.

If I have 8.1 pro on a pc I can remote from pc to rt or no its only rt to pc?

Thanks

oion

Thanks all for the help.

If I have 8.1 pro on a pc I can remote from pc to rt or no its only rt to pc?

Thanks

The assumption is that you can only use the Surface as a client to remote into another Windows desktop of the correct variant (e.g. Win7 Pro/Ult/Ent, or Win8 Pro), as Jeff says, but we might actually be wrong? Hmmmmm. Jeff actually answered this thread before, but look at the later posts:

is it possible to remote INTO a surface running windows rt? - Microsoft Community

That's news to me. May have to try it soon just for kicks.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Remote Assistance has more overhead as it a mentor/mentee connection meaning it mirrors the UI in both the local and remote connection and the default for the remote is view only, you need to request control from the remote and the local connection needs to grant that permission. This makes a very poor remote host solution.

OP
S

sillyrabbitt123

The assumption is that you can only use the Surface as a client to remote into another Windows desktop of the correct variant (e.g. Win7 Pro/Ult/Ent, or Win8 Pro), as Jeff says, but we might actually be wrong? Hmmmmm. Jeff actually answered this thread before, but look at the later posts:

is it possible to remote INTO a surface running windows rt? - Microsoft Community

That's news to me. May have to try it soon just for kicks.

Thanks for the info. In reading that thread it seems like it works but maybe not full control of the
Surface 2. Too bad splashtop teamviewer or another doesnt make a streamer
For the surface.

My droid has quicksupport by teamviewer that works great.

Last edited: