What's new

migrating from a windows 8.1 to another windows 8.1

johnj2803

I have the dell venue 11 pro with windows 8.1. I have onedrive synced to my external SD card.

I am trying to find out the best way to migrate everything i have in the dell to a SP3.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
OneDrive is the best way to sync....make sure you're syncing settings and passwords, etc.....

If you are using a POP3 Email Account with Outlook you'll want to export your inbox to a PST File and make sure you copy it somewhere like your OneDrive. Also anything not on your OneDrive move there...(assuming your OneDrive has the space).

OP
J

johnj2803

the thing with one drive is that it seems it is not syncing properly. I have files in my dell that i cannot see in my onedrive in the web and conversely i have files in my MBP that wont sync to one drive in my dell.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Are you attempting to sync any blocked file types (.exe, .cmd, .bat, .ps1)? When you click on the OneDrive Icon in the task tray and select view sync errors what comes up?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
OneDrive is great for what it does but you may well have many files and folders not synced to OneDrive like Downloads, etc. If you use the same Microsoft account your Settings, Store apps, and OneDrive will come over automatically. Everything else is on you.

You can copy everything to USB drive or the SD card if there's enough space or just what's not on OneDrive. Desktop Apps like Office will have to be reinstalled. Laplink PCMover is nice but it doesn't always work then you still have to do things manually.

use File Explorer look at the directories in C:\ & in your account, copy the ones you need.
look at programs installed and make a list. Verify installation media and downloads are available. If you don't do these things then you might not know what's missing until later which might be too late.

OP
J

johnj2803

"files cant be uploaded because the path of this file or folder is too long. move item to a different ;location or shorten its name"

I have tried time and again deleting it but it just won't delete.

I have other files that are not syncing after this. word documents and powerpoint presentations

leeshor

That (total number of characters in the path/name" limitation has been around for a while and isn't just limited to syncing with OneDrive. Try logging out of OneDrive then try deleting the file again, or moving it.

OP
J

johnj2803

I'm just cautious because I might end up not having all of the files in one drive that I thought that were there. Worried that I might lose these files forever

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
"files cant be uploaded because the path of this file or folder is too long. move item to a different ;location or shorten its name"

I have tried time and again deleting it but it just won't delete.

I have other files that are not syncing after this. word documents and powerpoint presentations
OneDrive can't upload this file to this location
The full path (including the file name) is too long. The path must contain fewer than 442 characters. Shorten the name of your file or the name of subfolders in OneDrive, or select a subfolder that's closer to the top-level folder, and then try to upload the file again

You folder structure is too deep, you'll need to move them higher up in the hiarchy. If you can't, take OneDrive offline and make the changes.... using as suggested an external drive.

Lee Metcalf

One thing to keep in mind when doing a Windows8/8.1 backup.

Onedrive does save all your settings as a user, plus all the files that you store there. Now if you want to save your profile, go to PC Settings > Update and recovery > File History. Turn that on. Specify the location to save your profile. Then when you restore your Surface or any computer with win8/8.1 you can restore your profile as well.