What's new

Migrating from Old Surface to New Surface?

adambravo

Elsewhere, I posted about the fading Microsoft logo on the back of my surface. MS has offered to replace the unit, but I'm wondering if it's more trouble than it's worth in terms of migrating. Will I have to redownload apps and re-set up my desktop? Other issues?

Thanks in advance...

J515OP

Super Moderator
Yes you would have to redownload your apps and updates but because you are tied to your Microsoft account (assuming you didn't opt for a local only account) everything will repopulate on the new machine, including notices that you have new apps to download. The change over should be minimal and unless you went totally nuts with reg edits and custom mods you really shouldn't miss a beat.

bosamar

Elsewhere, I posted about the fading Microsoft logo on the back of my surface. MS has offered to replace the unit, but I'm wondering if it's more trouble than it's worth in terms of migrating. Will I have to redownload apps and re-set up my desktop? Other issues?

Thanks in advance...

I believe I could live with a fading logo.....

TeknoBlast

Yeah, eventually, the new Surface's logo is going to fade as well unless you stick some kind of skin on the back side.