What's new

Mindmanager on SP3

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just watched some youtube videos, and for mouse and keyboard input, it does look great. Then i saw the price tag. Utter joke. I see absolutely nothing about it that justifies that kind of price tag. Downloading a copy instead ;)

At the end of the day, i'll still probably use one note due to the pen.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have it, but the cost far outweighs it's value to me . .

I just cannot fathom how a mind map application can possibly warrant a £300 price tag. I'll buy many bits of software, because i feel it a reasonable price for the features, this is just being greedy, i have absolutely no moral quandary in pirating this.

OP
D

dan_fein

I just cannot fathom how a mind map application can possibly warrant a £300 price tag. I'll buy many bits of software, because i feel it a reasonable price for the features, this is just being greedy, i have absolutely no moral quandary in pirating this.
I use this app more than I use Word. It lets me take handwritten notes and organize them on the fly, then it archives all of my notes, so I have a complete history of a relationship with a client in one file, including links to outside documents. It translates my handwriting pretty well, and has gotten better since the original XP Tablet version. I also use it for project planning. It is a capable enough project management tool to replace MS Project for the kinds of projects that I do. It has a ton of capabilities that I've never used.

If you don't use it that way, I can understand why you'd think it's expensive, but as a primary tool, its value far exceeds its cost to me. I do the annual $100 subscription and get the online version as well, which allows me to collaborate with others, who don't need a license to share my files.

Last edited:
OP
D

dan_fein

I've been using Mind Manager on tablets since the Motion Computing LE1700. Using V15 on the Surface works great and handwriting works as expected. It will be the experience you are expecting.

I do wish that MindJet would upgrade their handing writing as I always find myself running out of space on the 1 line they provide.
I have my new SP3 i7, and yesterday spent my first full work day on it. When I opened my first mmap file and tried to work with it, I realized that there is no INS key on the type cover to create a new topic. Have you found a way to replace this function?

Jeff Au

There's also another tool NovaMind who looks like a strong competitor to Mindjet but hehe still at similar price point. :) NovaMind do have a free Lite version but seems to be very limited in feature set to be of any practical use.

https://www.novamind.com/

NovaMind's licensing is one-off and you get perpetual upgrades for free. If you are in this long-term, the cost may be doable.

Thorntod

I've been a MindManager user for a decade. I'm greedy for better/faster/cheaper in the mind mapping category, but it doesn't exist in my view. I'm new to Surface and the Pen Mode, and have very high hopes for inking in MindManager, but I'm off to a bad start: http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/mindmanager-15-crash-on-ink-to-text.15255/

When I lead a meeting, I map it real-time with the attendees watching. Invariably those new to mind mapping ask what tool I'm using, with a lustful look in their eyes. They see me capturing and organizing on the fly in a very non-linear (read "natural") and fluid way. Would you display your notes as you take them? Actions are assigned on the fly for all to see -- and tagged for my system to process automatically. Attendees get the meeting notes via email (with actions) before they are back at their desks.

It takes a while for MindManager to become fluid, but it's worth the learning curve. It's also worth the price.
(Until something better/faster/cheaper exists.)

smar

There are a few free alternatives. Xmind has a free option as well as paid depending on the features you use (http://www.xmind.net/download/win/) and FreeMind is a totally free Java version (http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page).

Personally I've found Xmind to be quite good in the past especially for light users.

JustinL100

ON my SP3 I had always encountered an issue with the 2 finger scroll when navigating Mind Manager. Scroll bars move but the map doesn't, then the mouse cursor move over refreshes it bit by bit, but the only way to refresh it properly is to "restore the window" and then maximise it again.
I thought this was because I'd upgraded the SP3 from 8 to 8.1 then to 10.
I had a ticket logged with MindJet and they said it was device specific - try driver updates etc.

So I just bought a new SurfaceBook and the same thing happens!! Arrgh..
Anyone else see this happening (MM 14 & 15)