What's new

Mini DisplayPort on new docking station doesn't work

dan_fein

I had a similar problem with mine - running an older Samsung EX2220. At first I bought a mDP to VGA adapter and at first it worked great from the docking station or the SP3, but after a few days, it got flaky on the docking station. I then bought a mDP to DVI adapter and that has worked fine. Now, I have another laptop that I use for work, and I added a iogear KVM to DVI with a short mDP to DVI adapter. It all works great.
The other Docking Station problem I'm having is with the Ethernet connection, but that's for another post.

Enrico D.

Thanks for the report JLIV
for what I can understand.... they admitted that the docking mdp are defective... means like for me I could use at all with my lg 30 2560x1600 because continously flickering.
And they produced new one without defects probabily, so now they know from serial numbers which are good.
Problem that I sold urgently mine, and if I would but now a new one I'm scared that I could have the old one. Ok I could ask the seller the S/N first and ask microsoft support if it is the defective one or now... by the way remain a mess this issue, scaring that for a company with just 1 device and 1 docking, they have not tested properly before launch on the market. What is for microsfot to have a 20/30 displays to make tests...? really is the consumer after hundred millions investments that have to discover the bugs for them?? :)

Graham Hughes

Hi chaps,

I'm new on here, but I think I'm seeing the same issues...

I have a SP3 i7 256GB. A Dell 30 inch which has DP1.2, and an older dell 24 with DP1.1.

I run them as a daisy chain happily from my MacBook Pro 2013.
I'm going miniDP->DP, and then DP->DP
They run fine from the SP3 directly - the port on the actual device.

Connect them to the docking station - oh heck, what a mess.
Device/docking station less than a week old. (although no idea when it was manufactured). All updates applied.

Disconnect the 2nd monitor from the chain, and it performs perfectly on just the 30inch.

Cables matter! Of that I'm sure - my experience of getting DP running initially proved this to me, but my setup is stable where it works, so I think that is all ok.

So a few thoughts / questions if anyone can throw some light on this please:

1. The 30 inch is quite new, but this could be an compatibility issue with the hub in the monitor and the docking station DP? i.e. would buying an independent hub be a possible solution?
2. I'm reading that the USB->DP uses CPU? Not something I really fancy, giving this is just dual core. Anyone notice any impact with these adaptors?
3. Does anyone have a daisy chain working from the docking station with hi-res (i.e. above 1080) resolution? Or using a hub from the docking station? Basically like many people, I just wish to put the device in the dock without further connections.
4. Is there any difference in connecting to my Dell 30inch on full size DP port compared to connecting on mini DP? i.e. I currently connect minDP->DP, but I could I presume purchase a new cable and connect miniDP->miniDP.

Otherwise, what a wonderful bit of kit. And frankly there seems a way around this, even if its not necessarily as easy as it should be.

Many thanks

Graham

glr

I too am experiencing intermittent display issues. My Indian tech support friend has asked me to do a Refresh which will then require the re-installation of dozens of programs...what a pia. As fate would have it, my desktop monitor is going in and out as I write this note.

glr

Update - I gently pushed back and Support is sending me a replacement dock...I am hopeful this will improve my experience.

tuchas

Probably not. The new one won't come with a power adapter, FYI. It also wont fix the problem, most likely. :(

I sure hope you're wrong about that, because they are delivering a replacement to me tomorrow, and they explicitly told me not to return the original one. Considering the problem could be anything, they better damn well include a new power adapter in my replacement.

tuchas

Probably not. The new one won't come with a power adapter, FYI. It also wont fix the problem, most likely. :(

Actually I found my replacement at my front door this morning. FYI it is brand new in a box, sealed, and has the power supply and documentation. Let's hope this works - I'll report back later.

Kif

Actually I found my replacement at my front door this morning. FYI it is brand new in a box, sealed, and has the power supply and documentation. Let's hope this works - I'll report back later.

Good luck!!!