What's new

Mini DisplayPort on new docking station doesn't work

OP
C

Chris Broughton

I just got my dock yesterday. I have a mDP to VGA adapter and it works fine to run an external monitor directly from the SP3 or via the mDP port on the dock. I don't have a 2nd monitor so I haven't been able to test connecting a monitor to each of the mDP ports to see if that works.

Are people saying that they can't get any monitor to work using the dock's mDP port?

Yes, so far the people in the thread including myself haven't been able to get any video out of the dock's monitor port. Thank you for letting us know that there are working docks though. I've asked my vendor for a replacement so we'll see if a new one works.

Can you tell me if your power plug also works correctly? Mine is not actually charging the tablet.

strollin

Yes, the SP3 charges while in the dock. As I said, I just got my dock yesterday so I haven't had a chance to use it much but haven't encountered any issues yet.

onefish2

I purchased a Dell U2414h just after I got the SP3. I am using the Mini Displayport to Display Port adapter that came with the monitor. Its plugged into the Surface dock and works just fine. I did have a problem at one point where the monitor was not recognized. I fixed that by pulling the power from the monitor and then it started working.

OP
C

Chris Broughton

I purchased a Dell U2414h just after I got the SP3. I am using the Mini Displayport to Display Port adapter that came with the monitor. Its plugged into the Surface dock and works just fine. I did have a problem at one point where the monitor was not recognized. I fixed that by pulling the power from the monitor and then it started working.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried that on mine and I got no change.

Bandito

It's beginning to sound like Microsoft may have had a manufacturing issue with a batch or two of the docks. I'll guess we'll know more once some of the replacements arrive.

One other thought occurred to me while reading the thread today. DisplayPort is still relatively new, so be sure to check your monitor manufacturer's website to see if there happens to be updated firmware for the monitor. That could possibly resolve some issues.

I'm not too shocked that Surface Support wants to blame the adapter cables, but if they clearly understood that the cable worked when connected directly to the SP3, I'm baffled as to why they would stick to that logic (or lack thereof).

The only real issue I've run into with some of the extremely inexpensive early adapters was the lack of audio pass through. Other than that, they should all be good as long as they're certified to the 1.2 standard.

chuckycheeze

I was having problems getting my dock to work with my old HP LP2465. I was using an Apple mDP to DVI adapter with a single DVI cable. Monitor was recognized but no picture. Could change all the settings, but still black, just as schadowrider described. As with everyone else, anything straight from the SP3 works fine, problem is just with the dock.

Based on some googling, I thought my mDP to DVI adapter might be the problem, apparently active vs inactive adapters is a thing. I ordered a cable matters active adapter off amazon, still didn't work. In fact, it was even worse with this adapter because it wouldn't let me extend or duplicate monitors, it always forced me to just use the SP3's screen and forced me to the lowest resolution. Weird.

Just to see, I tried another monitor I have at work, Acer B243HL, first with the new cable matters adapter, same DVI cable. Same problem as with the other monitor and cable matters adapter.

Then I tried the old Apple mDP to DVI adapter, and VOILA! I have a perfectly good connection. So I'm no expert, but it seems that there's some seriously limited compatibility with the dock and various connection types, adapters and monitors. Y'all be the judges, I'm just here in the hopes that this helps someone.

bluegrass

For those of you that are having problems with s DP monitor, does the monitor have any other inputs. I'm thinking that the dock, like mine has no problem with displaying to and HDMI monitor. You should try and determine if the dock is only having problems with DP monitor interfaces or if the dock won't display on any monitor interface.

malberttoo

I was having problems getting my dock to work with my old HP LP2465. I was using an Apple mDP to DVI adapter with a single DVI cable. Monitor was recognized but no picture. Could change all the settings, but still black, just as schadowrider described. As with everyone else, anything straight from the SP3 works fine, problem is just with the dock.

Based on some googling, I thought my mDP to DVI adapter might be the problem, apparently active vs inactive adapters is a thing. I ordered a cable matters active adapter off amazon, still didn't work. In fact, it was even worse with this adapter because it wouldn't let me extend or duplicate monitors, it always forced me to just use the SP3's screen and forced me to the lowest resolution. Weird.

Just to see, I tried another monitor I have at work, Acer B243HL, first with the new cable matters adapter, same DVI cable. Same problem as with the other monitor and cable matters adapter.

Then I tried the old Apple mDP to DVI adapter, and VOILA! I have a perfectly good connection. So I'm no expert, but it seems that there's some seriously limited compatibility with the dock and various connection types, adapters and monitors. Y'all be the judges, I'm just here in the hopes that this helps someone.

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the observation! I'm sure it will help someone. :cool:

OP
C

Chris Broughton

Good news everyone... I checked for updates again today and was given a firmware update from 8/19/2014 that has fixed all my dock issues but introduced a new one. The firmware is listed here, http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/install-update-activate/pro-3-update-history, but doesn’t say anything about fixing the dock.

I was only given the update when I checked for updates using the “Check for updates from Microsoft Update, instead of from your system admin”. This may be unique because I'm joined to a domain.

The issue that was introduced was that both monitor screens black out fairly frequently. This could be a cable issue I’m ordering replacements now.

Has anyone else seen an issue with external monitors flashing black for a few seconds?

bluegrass

Did you mean you used the control panel\windows updates rather than the metro place where you can update. I'm confused what you meant when you stated you used Microsoft Update rather then the system admin.