What's new

Mini Displayport to HDMI Not Working

the_faz

I have posted this question once before elsewhere, sorry for the repeat but still having no luck.

Yesterday I purchased a Surface Pro and also bought the official Microsoft mini display port to HDMI adapter (I now know that I could have got a much cheaper adapter elsewhere!!). Anyhow, I am not having any luck in getting my Sony Bravia TV to display what's on the Surface Pro. I have tried all of the following:
- I have tried two different HDMI cables to ensure there was not an issue with that.
- I have tried all four HDMI inputs on the Sony TV (and selected the appropriate input).
- On the Surface Pro I have gone into the Device Manager (Swipe from right of screen) and tried duplicate screen, and 2nd screen only.
- When I plug in the cables the Surface Pro does not recognised that I have done anything (ie the Surface Pro does not make a 'bing' noise like when I plug a USB stick into the USB port).

The TV remains black as it there is no signal at all going into it. Yet when I plug in my HP laptop via a HDMI cable, there are no issues at all.

Am I missing something here? Has anybody else had similar issues?

Thanks

Ben Farrell

Garfield

I'm using the original adapter from MS too with a Panasonic TX-L32V10E I've bought some years ago. No problems at all.
Good luck,
Robert.

fonzman78

I had the same issue just this week. I'm on vacation with my family and bought an HDMI cable so we could watch movies in the hotel room. I already had the MS minidisplay adapter. We were all set to watch a movie and it didn't work. When I plugged the cable in to the TV and my minidisplay adapter to my Pro, nothing but a blank screen. I tried several times to make it work but nothing. I tried all the steps the OP did (except that I only had on HDMI cable) and nothing seemed to work. I went online to see if anyone else had the same problem but it seemed like everyone else just plugged it in and it worked.

Finally, I made sure that the resolution stayed at 1920x1200 and kept plugging/unplugging the mini adapter on the Pro side. After a few times (10?) it just started working. Now it works every time I use it and we are watching movies on the TV. I suspect the OP needs to try it few more times. For me, I think I just needed to ensure that the mini adapter connected correctly.

CrippsCorner

Yes, I must admit, it's very sensitive indeed... I was wondering if my HDMI cable was at fault, but I guess not after reading several other people with the same problems.

dlacaba

I had the same issue with fonzman and I thought it was on account of me buying a cheap $5 mini displayport to hdmi adapter. The first few times I had to unplug and plug it in a few times before it would read. Then the signal would just drop out while watching a movie. But now, it works flawlessly. It works at work and at home using different hdmi cables and tv's/monitors. Really odd, but at least it's working now.

CrippsCorner

Okay so I tried setting up my Surface with my actual TV last night... no luck. Used the same HDMI to Mini DisplayPort that I used with my monitor, and the same HDMI cable I use with my PS3, but with both extend and duplicate, nothing :( just a blank screen. I'm glad it works on my monitor at least or I would be pissed! Either way, it would be nice to watch stuff on my much bigger TV set.

machistmo

I have posted this question once before elsewhere, sorry for the repeat but still having no luck.

Yesterday I purchased a Surface Pro and also bought the official Microsoft mini display port to HDMI adapter (I now know that I could have got a much cheaper adapter elsewhere!!). Anyhow, I am not having any luck in getting my Sony Bravia TV to display what's on the Surface Pro. I have tried all of the following:
- I have tried two different HDMI cables to ensure there was not an issue with that.
- I have tried all four HDMI inputs on the Sony TV (and selected the appropriate input).
- On the Surface Pro I have gone into the Device Manager (Swipe from right of screen) and tried duplicate screen, and 2nd screen only.
- When I plug in the cables the Surface Pro does not recognised that I have done anything (ie the Surface Pro does not make a 'bing' noise like when I plug a USB stick into the USB port).

The TV remains black as it there is no signal at all going into it. Yet when I plug in my HP laptop via a HDMI cable, there are no issues at all.

Am I missing something here? Has anybody else had similar issues?

Thanks

Ben Farrell

I know that some of our conference room TV's require that the resolution be tweaked down on the Laptop or Tablet before they will accept signal from them via a VGA input (PC input). Some TV's, esp older models, have Max resolutions they will accept from sources like a PC. Just a thought, try to down the resolution to say, I know *shudder*, 1024x768 to test. Or even 800x600.

drolem

What is the max resolution of the TV? To figure out what's wrong, I would connect it to a monitor that has a native resolution of 1920x1080 and see if you're still having issues. You can also change (decrease) the resolution to something really low (ie.1024x768) before connecting it to the TV. I only tried the VGA and DVI adapters, and they work fine.

demandarin

Some t.v.'s act funny like that. The pro and the t.v. has to make a "handshake" connection through HDMI. Slightly similar to pairing up Bluetooth devices except no password required. Sometimes turning all devices off then back on then connecting cables work.

gippas

Same problem here.... I bought a Surface Pro 2 a couple of weeks ago and last week got a generic Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adaptor to use with my TV. At first 2-3 times it worked fine but now my Surface will not recognize that my TV is connected. Tried all solutions kindly offered above but no luck. If anyone had an idea I'd be happy to give it a shot.

DOS

Similar issue, I found that if I plugged the Surface Pro in with the power connecter wire going up to the top of the device, HDMI wouldn't work. If I plugged the power connector with the wire going to the bottom of the device, HDMI would work.

Not sure if this was just a fluke; but it worked.