What's new

MiniDisplayPort out not working on SP3

agt499

So I'm trying to get this SP3 to replace my laptop, hence I want to connect at least one external display.
Because I want to use my monitor's full 2560x1440 resolution, a MiniDisplayPort to HDMI won't cut it, so I got a MiniDisplayPort to full size DisplayPort cable. (I checked the PS store for an official cable, but they don't do one, and the 'Live Chat with a person -who failed the Voight Kampff test - recommended that any Mini-Full DP cable would work).

Once the cable is connected, nothing happens.
Accessing 'Screen Resolution' and/or using WIN-P to Extend the desktop results in a listed Display 2: Display Device on: VGA with 1280x720 resolution, and the monitor (a Dell U2713HM - which the DisplayPort definitely works on with my old laptop) sees nothing.

It seems identical to the issue posted here http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/displayport-monitor-not-extending-on-surface-pro-2.8605/
with regard to the SP2, where at least one user reported failure after an update in April.

Device Manager assures me the drivers for the Intel HD Graphics 4400 are up-to-date, and I attempted to install the Dell Monitor driver, which refused as it could not detect the monitor.
I have identified that if I choose to update the driver 'From a list of device drivers on My Computer' and select Intel HD Graphics Family, that it will update its reporting of Display 2 to Dell U2713HM (DP).

From all of this I think I've established:
  • The monitor DP is fine becuase it works with my old laptop
  • The MiniDP socket on the SP3 is functioning as it will output to HDMI, and can identify the monitor.
  • It's got to be a driver issue?
Any suggestions from anyone?

GoodBytes

Nice monitor.
I have the Dell U2410 (1920x1200) monitor, and I never had the issue. I use a mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable.

I would try Intel latest beta drivers.

To install them, download the zip version and extract them, uninstall the drivers from device manager, restart when asked, immediately do a Windows update, and immediately hide the Surface Pro 3 firmware that will show again, before Windows finish downloading it, and installs it, which will install back the Intel drivers. Disconnect from the net to be sure to stop the process (turn off wireless will do). Once the update hidden, and all is good, feel free to turn on the wireless, and start the setup from the extracted zip files. When done, restart your system, and you should be good.

Hopefully this will work. Also see if the monitor has the option to change the version of DisplayPort, it could be that as well (see the monitor on screen menu).

OP
A

agt499

Nice monitor.
I have the Dell U2410 (1920x1200) monitor, and I never had the issue. I use a mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable.

I would try Intel latest beta drivers.

To install them, download the zip version and extract them, uninstall the drivers from device manager, restart when asked, immediately do a Windows update, and immediately hide the Surface Pro 3 firmware that will show again, before Windows finish downloading it, and installs it, which will install back the Intel drivers. Disconnect from the net to be sure to stop the process (turn off wireless will do). Once the update hidden, and all is good, feel free to turn on the wireless, and start the setup from the extracted zip files. When done, restart your system, and you should be good.

Hopefully this will work. Also see if the monitor has the option to change the version of DisplayPort, it could be that as well (see the monitor on screen menu).
Dang - the Intel drivers refuse to install, saying:

'The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate dirver from the computer manufacturer.
Setup will exit.'

I tried both the beta and latest from here :https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=&ProductID=3719&ProdId=3719

'Beta Intel® Iris™ and HD Graphics Driver for Windows* 7/8/8.1' : 15.36.0.3652
'Intel® Iris™ and HD graphics Driver for Windows* 7/8/8.1 64-bit' : 15.33.22.64.3621

Did I get the same versions you have?

OP
A

agt499

Updating without joy:
Given that the Setup.exe refused to run, I also had a go at using 'Have Disk' and pointing to the appropriate .inf file under Graphics/ in the extracted files.
This succeeded in installing the intel shell tray applet and shell extensions, but still no DP output.

Oh, and re Displayport version on the Monitor - no setting available!

OP
A

agt499

Does it have to be an active DVI-D adapter? I know back in the days when I played with Eyefinity, it had to be active to get the mini display port on my 7950s to display to the third monitor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ini_displayport_to_dvi-_-14-999-034-_-Product
Thanks Seneleron - but I'm just trying to do what is meant to be the easy thing of (Mini)Displayport to Displayport - I'm not using DVI at all.
(If I were I think you're right - the dual-link DVI requires active)

As I understand there is no passive or active adapter involved (that's how it works with my old laptops full size DP - just a dumb cable), which is also supposed to enable things like higher res support and MST monitor chaining.

RottenMutt

i got two of these monitors, daisy chain them and everything went as expected. you need to switch inputs manually, and need to switch the monitors to dp 1.2 to drive both.
the dell cables work perfect...
edit: i got the U2713H, sorry.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    570.9 KB · Views: 688
Last edited:
OP
A

agt499

i got two of these monitors, daisy chain them and everything went as expected. you need to switch inputs manually, and need to switch the monitors to dp 1.2 to drive both.
So there is hope...However.. I may have a slightly older model, as I have no DP out for Daisychaining, and no option to switch DP version to DP1.2?

Seneleron

I'm just trying to do what is meant to be the easy thing of (Mini)Displayport to Displayport

D'oh! Misread >< Sorry about that.

I'd take the Surface and cable to your retailer and ask them to help you verify functionality. if the port works with another monitor and your surface/cable, it's your monitor. If it doesn't, exchange.

Any under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you allow them to attempt to charge you for this. If they try, tell them you're more than happy to keep exchanging units until you find one that works ;)

OP
A

agt499

edit: i got the U2713H, sorry.
Thanks RottenMutt. Yes, you noticed the M on my U2713HM, which I think stands for 'Miserly'.
They are great for what I need and are a lot cheaper here, but I think don't have the color accuracy or MST displayport that yours have.

After trying a colleague's SP2 with his older Dell monitor I've now suspecting the cable, which I've returned and am looking to source a new one.
(Education for me that may not all DP cables are equal despite what the DP organization themselves seem to tell you - I note the cables at Monoprice state 'Important Note! This cable supports the DisplayPort version 1.1, which does not support audio and has a maximum data transmission rate of 8.64 Gbps.' )

Did you source your MiniDP→DP cables from dell?

OP
A

agt499

Solved : Sourced a replacement cable - Lenovo branded that explicitly stated DisplayPort 1.2 compatability, and all is working fine.