What's new

Miracast Battery Life

Mini

Hi, before buying the Netgear PTV3000 i wanted to ask if anyone has numbers concerning the battery lifetime while using miracast.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have the PTV3000, when I'm using Miracast or even Play To (using my Xbox One) it really does eat battery life quickly. On my Surface 2 I get 4-6 hours using either depending on if it is HD or SD content. On my Pro 2 I get about the same....

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Why the big device? Why not a little HDMI dongle you plug in? Is there any difference in functionality?

I had the PTV3000 back when it was WiDi only and I used it for my Samsung Ultrabook (prior to owning the Pro 2). With the dongles they have been hit or miss on Windows 8.1 compatibility....the PTV3000 is confirmed to work across the board.

MickeyLittle

I have the Samsung All Cast but I guess that there is no way that the Surface Pro 2 will work with that? So if I pick up this PVT3000 so that I can project my Surface's screen to my TV wirelessly, will it do like the mini adapter and HDMI cable are currently doing and show all my apps including web browsing on my big screen or is it limited to movies and video?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Samsung's Allshare Cast looks like is only compatible with Samsung Android devices (newer ones at that). So Miracast and Intel's WiDi are essentially Wireless HDMI, sending video and sound wirelessly to the screen. So yes, it works as if it is plugged into the Screen, works well for presenting Decks or watching Video Content. I wouldn't use it for productivity or Web surfing as there is a noticeable lag between the Surface and the Screen, and this has been true all of my devices.

MickeyLittle

Samsung's Allshare Cast looks like is only compatible with Samsung Android devices (newer ones at that). So Miracast and Intel's WiDi are essentially Wireless HDMI, sending video and sound wirelessly to the screen. So yes, it works as if it is plugged into the Screen, works well for presenting Decks or watching Video Content. I wouldn't use it for productivity or Web surfing as there is a noticeable lag between the Surface and the Screen, and this has been true all of my devices.

Bummer... I'll just keep using a cord then. Thanks for the info!

Dim-Ize

Sorry to resurrect this thread. But, I was searching for "Miracast" and came across this one.

Yesterday, I was using my SP2 in a meeting with the PTV3000. I was displaying a slide deck which included HD videos. The meeting lasted two hours. Before the meeting the SP2 was unplugged too - so a total of about 3 hours of use - solely on battery from an initial full charge.

Battery setting was on High Performance (standard settings), WiFi was turned on (obviously) as was Bluetooth and a USB 3.0 receiver for a advancing slides via a remote. Regrettably, the SP2 gave a battery warning about 30 seconds before powering down. I wish I could have gotten 3 hours out of it. It was rather embarrassing, but wasn't the end of the world.

I think the issue is with my specific SP2. I just don't think I get the yield that most users get. Going to search for the command to issue battery results and I wonder if mine is just a wimpy one.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I saw in the other thread you were using B@LLS OUT with Max Brightness and MAX CPU so 3 hours under that load is quite good....Miracast can impact battery, if you are planning this again, it may help if you get a Power Cover, it should get you 4-6 hours under the same conditions...

Dim-Ize

I saw in the other thread you were using B@LLS OUT with Max Brightness and MAX CPU so 3 hours under that load is quite good....Miracast can impact battery, if you are planning this again, it may help if you get a Power Cover, it should get you 4-6 hours under the same conditions...

LOL - you rock. Yes, I suppose I was hammering on it a bit.