What's new

Miracast

Jesse

I recently purchased a miracast device, and the screen mirroring works well. Unfortunately half of the time when the display is mirrored, the internet on the surface pro 2 stops working.

Has anyone else seen this, or figured out a fix?

OP
J

Jesse

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't think miracast used Bluetooth though. When you turn on miracast on the device you're connecting to a new wifi network shows up. Once I've connected to the miracast device my network adapter speed (2.4G or 5GHz) my connection speed drops. When connecting with my 5GHz connection I see my wifi connection drop for 270Mbps to 52Mbps. However half the time connecting even to webpages becomes impossible.

It seems that the one wifi chip on the surface pro is being required to connect to two end points: 1. router, 2. miracast device. This is just based on the miracast device activating a wifi network when I start it up, and when I connect I have a second wifi adapter showing (and showing connected) if I look under windows network adapters.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Miracast use WiFi Direct not Bluetooth, normally it shouldn't impact you internet connection. Do you have a 5GHz option on your network?

OP
J

Jesse

jnjroach,

I do have a 5GHz and 2.4GHz network. Both seem to be about the same. Normally I default to the 5GHz network.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That is weird, typically when I'm on 5GHz I don't have any issues with my Miracast Performance, on 2.4GHz I get a lot of artifacting and generally a laggy experience. Is there a Firmware Update for your Miracast Receiver?

OP
J

Jesse

I've check and the miracast player is up to date, and the miracast works great. It is just the internet access is poor about half the time on the surface pro 2.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
What Miracast Adapter are you using? Is your Surface Pro 2 fully update with all of the Firmware Updates?

OP
J

Jesse

The surface pro 2 is full up to date (latest firmware and running windows 8.1 update 1), and the Miracast adapter I'm using is the bdp-s5200.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Is that the Sony Blu-ray Player? I've seen other reports of Miracast issues between Sony Devices and the Surface Pro...

OP
J

Jesse

It is, the 2014 model. The miracast connection established every time. It doesn't drop the connection, and is pretty responsive. When the internet does work the surface, I'm able to stream netflix without any problems to my TV with full frame rate video and audio in sync. Othertimes I cannot connect to a single web page. Sometimes it works fine for a while, but then stops.

GoodBytes

I never tried Miracast, but it could be a wireless router issue. Try to be closer to your router, try changing wireless channel of your router wireless signal, if you can (it's in the wireless router configuration page)
If you download a large torrent, or transfer a really large file on your network, does your internet speed struggles?

Last edited: