What's new

Miracast

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Unless there is contention between what the Miracast Adapter and Router, the router shouldn't be an issue. Miracast, WiDi (and all WiFi Direct Solutions) all use the modern WLAN Adapter and Modern OS's ability to create a Virtual WLAN Card for the connection, by-passing the internal network. So unless they Miracast Device is using a channel that is too close to the Routers it shouldn't be an issue.

I use a tool called inSSIDer for Wireless Site Surveys....

OP
J

Jesse

I ran some additional tests, and the router is set to 5GHz (something like channel 149), while the miracast device from Sony seems to only opera at 2.4GHz (channel 6). There are no neighbouring networks operating at or at adjacent channels. Signal strength is strong for both networks.

Some tests today showed that connecting my internet wifi to 2.4Ghz (at a different channel than the miracast) resulted in no internet connectivity at all. Running at 5Ghz would allow for internet connection most of the time.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The 2.4GHz contention issue is consistent with what I see, but I find the 5GHz issue dumbfounding...

vicviper74

My understanding is that Miracast for PC (WIDI) "Wireless Display" is different. it required a code to be entered by the client that is originally displayed by the host. Kinda like when bluetooth first was introduced. It required input of a code like 0000 or 1234. This is what is causing incompatibility. I asked LG "the maker of my Blueray with Miracast" if they would be supporting WIDI as they did Miracast. They told me for my Blueray player NO!

So stupid intel decided to change the Miracast rules... a-holes. now we gotta buy new poop for compatability!

Oh and I have use my phone to Miracast to my Blueray. works like a charm. WIDI is a complete NOPE!

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
My understanding is that Miracast for PC (WIDI) "Wireless Display" is different. it required a code to be entered by the client that is originally displayed by the host. Kinda like when bluetooth first was introduced. It required input of a code like 0000 or 1234. This is what is causing incompatibility. I asked LG "the maker of my Blueray with Miracast" if they would be supporting WIDI as they did Miracast. They told me for my Blueray player NO!

So stupid intel decided to change the Miracast rules... a-holes. now we gotta buy new poop for compatability!

Oh and I have use my phone to Miracast to my Blueray. works like a charm. WIDI is a complete NOPE!

But the Surface uses Miracast as it has the Marvell Wireless Card, not the Intel Wireless Card which is required to use WiDi, the only WiDi drivers that the Surface uses is Video and USB (as the are Intel).

vicviper74

You have to download the widi "screenbeam" app in the app store ScreenBeam Pro Utility (Windows 8.1 /Intel® WiDi) app for Windows in the Windows Store

I have tried several times.. It wont work. This is the sad truth.
Unless some programmer makes something.

jnjroach Let me ask you..

Are you needing to enter a pairing code to connect to your device?
or do you just select it, and it Mirrors?

Also give me the exact model number of what your using to Mirror with.

Last edited:

godashram

miracast is annoying. I have it working on my panasonic media player with my tegra note, but my surface pro 2 gets to a point where you think you have it and BAM! connection failed.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You have to download the widi "screenbeam" app in the app store ScreenBeam Pro Utility (Windows 8.1 /Intel® WiDi) app for Windows in the Windows Store

I have tried several times.. It wont work. This is the sad truth.
Unless some programmer makes something.

jnjroach Let me ask you..

Are you needing to enter a pairing code to connect to your device?
or do you just select it, and it Mirrors?

Also give me the exact model number of what your using to Mirror with.

Windows RT/8.x requires the Security code for Miracast and WiDi (just as they do for Bluetooth Keyboards). The ScreenBeam from the App Store is for management not connection. I use the Actiontec ScreenBeam Pro and I also use the Netgear PTV3000 (latest Firmware). It is the same process on my Surface 2 as it is my Pro 2, I use Miracast on both devices without issue. This is me presenting at the Microsoft Store using a Surface 2 using Miracast to my PTV3000...

Attachments

• Jeff-Surface2-MVP-Talk-APR2014.jpg
    Jeff-Surface2-MVP-Talk-APR2014.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 649

GoodBytes

I don't understand why it is so complicated?
These are the time you see the strong point of a closed system, like Apple AirPlay.
It just works, because both ends are done by the same company. And tested work seamlessly.

Your beard is awesome, honestly!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It works well for me, I believe the issue with the Home Entertainment Systems is that when they included Miracast Support, their developers did the old "hard coded connection string" looking for specific Android Devices (typically called out on their Support Site). Even the PTV3000 needed a Firmware Update to work with Windows 8.x.

:eek: Thanks for the compliment :eek: