What's new

Solved Missing Desktop Icons

gabe406

Hello Group,

I hope to ask for some resolving a problem that has come up on my 128GB Surface Pro. I had created some folders on the Desktop and placed some shortcuts there as well. In the past week I have applied updates and installed some programs, but failed to notice when my desktop icons were no longer showing. If I go into Windows file explorer I can see them in the Desktop folder but not on the desktop. I do get the dreaded "windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services" under the User Profile Service in the Application Event viewer. I has restored to a point in time before the major installs and updates but the problem did not go away. I do have some other restore points from a month ago I could use but I wanted to avoid that if possible because I would have to reinstall the software again. I know this might tell me what the problem is so I may just do that. Before I did I was hoping someone else might know a trick. Any help would be welcome. Thanks

Gabe

vinumsv

Hi gabe,

Can u check if all of these are enabled and its in default

this might not be a solution to your problem just a try :p
Untitled.png

OP
gabe406

gabe406

Yes, those work. Its just the ones I made that are not showing. I am afraid its my profile and it might be corrupt.

vinumsv

Yes, those work. Its just the ones I made that are not showing. I am afraid its my profile and it might be corrupt.

did you use any registry cleaners ? if yes try restoring it or you if indeed user profile is corrupted you can use the following methods

1. Windows Easy Transfer will copy all files and settings from one user account to another.

2. Go into My Comp -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Advanced ->
User Profiles and copy the profile (this only copies the user profile not the files)

ltcbob11

Gabe,

I noticed that my Trash, Computer, and Control Panel icons were missing from my desktop this morning. After a bit of frustration, I noticed that the tops of them were just visible at bottom edge of display. I grabbed them and moved them up. Not sure why they suddenly dropped to outside visible screen, but.....

OP
gabe406

gabe406

Ok, first, thanks for everyone's feedback, I really appreciate. I have made some interesting discoveries. If I click on the "Start" bar and select "Toolbars" and select "Desktop" all my icons and shortcuts show up...but only in the bar. Now this is driving me crazy. I am trying everything everyone has suggested and now I am ready to pull hair out.

OP
gabe406

gabe406

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I tried an experiment and simply copied the non appearing icons back to the desktop making duplicates. The I deleted the old ones that were not appearing and renamed the duplicates. It all appears to be working ok now. Don't know what happened and I am not really sure its fixed but for now it works.

Thanks again everyone.

jtculpepper

I just got my surface pro yesterday and have encountered this problem already. But I was able to find my icons after some fumbling around. I noticed that if you move your mouse icon to the far left or right edge of the screen, then left click and hold. Don't let up. then slowly move the mouse Icon towards the opposite side, the entire desktop (icons and all) will slide with the mouse. Towards the bottom of the screen you will see a single dot or two dots. If there is two dots then there are two separate desktop screens. After I slid my desktop over to the other desktop, I saw my icons. Why it did this I don't know, but it may be that I have multiple monitors attached to my surface dock.

ScottyS

Yes. I was thinking the missing desktop icons might be off screen (which is why they show up in explorer windows and not on the desktop).

<noticed that if you move your mouse icon to the far left or right edge of the screen, then left click and hold. Don't let up. then slowly move the mouse Icon towards the opposite side, the entire desktop (icons and all) will slide with the mouse.>

This doesn't do this with my SP connected to a monitor running 2650x1440 (will try it with Surface's screen when unplugged from my monitor), but my icons jump around when I switch resolutions.

earth2gemp

Hi All.
I have the Surface Pro 3 and had the same issue that started with deleting something I didn't want to delete. No big deal, right, go to recycle bin and.....no recycle bin icon! No icons at all! And off I went, for the better part of a day, trying to find out where my desktop icons went. I did EVERYTHING that was posted and nothing. Then I realized I was in "tablet mode". Toggled out of Tablet mode and sure enough, my desktop suddenly had all the icons that should be showing up, including my recycle bin. So before you start messing with a bunch of reg edits etc. check to see if you are in tablet mode=)