What's new

Missing Drivers with Build 10240 on Surface 3 (Atom)

CubbyBear

Hello,

Is anyone else losing driver support for their Type Cover, WiFi, video, etc after performing an in-place upgrade of Windows 10 on their Surface 3 from build 10162 or earlier?

AFAIK, there isn't a downloadable set for these Windows 10 drivers, and I cannot locate them in the Windows.old install. Without WiFi support or an ethernet adapter, I'm unable to retrieve them via Windows Update. So, I'm left with a Surface 3 that has an improper display resolution because it's not using the Intel HD driver, no network connectivity, and spotty Type Cover usage.

Thanks in advance.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
My upgrade for my Surface 3 worked without a hitch and actually is much more stable than the SP3, Power Management is working as intended on the S3 while I'm still getting drain on the SP3.

OP
C

CubbyBear

My upgrade for my Surface 3 worked without a hitch and actually is much more stable than the SP3, Power Management is working as intended on the S3 while I'm still getting drain on the SP3.

Thanks for the feedback. What Windows 10 build did you upgrade to? Did you upgrade from the stock Windows 8.1 install, or a prior build of Windows 10?

Commander Data

Hello,

Is anyone else losing driver support for their Type Cover, WiFi, video, etc after performing an in-place upgrade of Windows 10 on their Surface 3 from build 10162 or earlier?

AFAIK, there isn't a downloadable set for these Windows 10 drivers, and I cannot locate them in the Windows.old install. Without WiFi support or an ethernet adapter, I'm unable to retrieve them via Windows Update. So, I'm left with a Surface 3 that has an improper display resolution because it's not using the Intel HD driver, no network connectivity, and spotty Type Cover usage.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Op, if you haven't found this out yet, the key to getting the drivers is going here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38826 on another PC and downloading Surface3_150623.msi. You can then move that over with a USB and run the MSI file. This will install all the relevant drivers...

Although, is anyone else having issues with the display drivers? I seem to have the Windows 8.1 Intel display driver and it keeps crashing from time to time. Anyone else have this problem?

Hi Op, if you haven't found this out yet, the key to getting the drivers is going here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38826 on another PC and downloading Surface3_150623.msi. You can then move that over with a USB and run the MSI file. This will install all the relevant drivers...

Although, is anyone else having issues with the display drivers? I seem to have the Windows 8.1 Intel display driver and it keeps crashing from time to time. Anyone else have this problem?

Have you noticed if the crashes only happen when you're using Microsoft Edge? That's what was going on with my Surface 3. I fixed it by going into Edge settings and turning off Flash.