What's new

Modem and Wireless Router

I will be travelling with my Surface 2 next month overseas and not all hotels provide Room Wifi, but they havce an Ethernet port. Does the surface have a built in Ethernet modem? or is it the same modem as the WiFi? How do I get a wireless hotspot in my hotel room? Do I need to buy a modem and a wireless router or just a wireless router? I need the modem / router to be portable and work with 220V.

Many thanks.
:confused:

D1vad

I will be travelling with my Surface 2 next month overseas and not all hotels provide Room Wifi, but they havce an Ethernet port. Does the surface have a built in Ethernet modem? or is it the same modem as the WiFi? How do I get a wireless hotspot in my hotel room? Do I need to buy a modem and a wireless router or just a wireless router? I need the modem / router to be portable and work with 220V.

Many thanks.
:confused:

Looking at your post, and drawing conclusions about your level of knowledge based on that you would be best (in my opinion) to pick up the Microsoft USB to Ethernet adapter, and at lease two RJ45 cords for it. this doesn't require drivers, and it would permit you to directly connect to the walljack in your room. But your surface would be wired to the jack.

If you go with a wireless router, it takes a level of skill to connect it to hotels system, you shouldn't just assume it will be plug and play. I'm assuming you don't have access to that skill, or you wouldn't be asking this here. If you go with a wireless router I'd suggest the Microsoft USB to Ethernet adapter as back up.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...e-USB-to-Ethernet-adapter/productID.276582800

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
OP
G

geisslingen

Thank you everyone for your recommendations. I have not used a travel router to connect to in a hotel room before but I know how to setup my home network.
I will probable go for the Microsoft USB adapter as it is a more pratical solution and esier to carry when travelling.

OP
G

geisslingen

Very useful information, thank you jnjroach for sharing. It seems nothing is plug and play with Windows RT, at least not yet.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
MS didn't include the driver as a Class Driver because it prevented the System from entering Connected Standby. I personally use a travel router, I've used it in Dubai, 5 cities in India, Istanbul, Prague, Vienna, Johannesburg and Amsterdam without issue.

OP
G

geisslingen

What do you think about D-Link DIR505 portable router? It seems to have nice reviews and sell for less than $30 at BB. It is cheaper than MS USB adapter and can be used with a 100-240V power supply. I am sure I can manage to set this one up :nerd:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
D-Link is a reputable brand, and being dual voltage you just need to pick up a travel power adapter for you destination, also available at BB.

D1vad

Thank you everyone for your recommendations. I have not used a travel router to connect to in a hotel room before but I know how to setup my home network.
I will probable go for the Microsoft USB adapter as it is a more pratical solution and esier to carry when travelling.

I don't know where you will be staying. but I'd suggest you attempt to find online instructions for where you will be staying, on how to connect to their internet. if your provider requires you to agree to an online page before providing access do you have any idea how to accomplish that with your potential router? I'd also suggest that you double check that the router is approved in the countries you will be traveling in. Many Asian countries have different frequencies and power limits than the US or Europe for the radio part of the router.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
For the Hotel issue, put the Router in AP mode and you'll still get the landing page....