What's new

Modern chrome on Surface 2?

anonimity

Hi guys

I just bought a new surface 2 rt. Getting the hang of everything for now - really impressed. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find an application for Chrome. IE works great, but I use chrome on my main devices, so I would like it to sync up.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated. If there are anu applications you would recommend please let me know!

oion

In the future there will be a jailbreak for the Surface 2 to run ported desktop apps including other browsers but likely not Google Chrome.

[Release] RT Jailbreak Tool - xda-developers

Desktop apps ported to Windows RT - xda-developers

Clarity:

The XDA tool doesn't work with Windows 8.1/8.1RT and so far there have been no breakthroughs. I would not count on it. Windows RT 8.1 anti-jailbreak differences - xda-developers

Considering the OP doesn't understand the Windows RT platform is built on ARM architecture and that Windows RT is a "walled garden" much like iOS/Android, adding information about a nonexistent jailbreak is a disservice and only clouds the practical "store only" answer. Too many people didn't understand that even with the old 8.0 jailbreak, the side-loaded application had to be recompiled to ARM architecture from x86, and were duly disappointed. Those were mostly open source developer tools to boot.

@OP: Understand that Windows RT is like iOS and Android. You can't install Mac software on iOS, and you can't install Linux software on Android. Everything is from the store.

D

Deleted member 10837

Clarity:

The XDA tool doesn't work with Windows 8.1/8.1RT and so far there have been no breakthroughs. I would not count on it. Windows RT 8.1 anti-jailbreak differences - xda-developers

Considering the OP doesn't understand the Windows RT platform is built on ARM architecture and that Windows RT is a "walled garden" much like iOS/Android, adding information about a nonexistent jailbreak is a disservice and only clouds the practical "store only" answer. Too many people didn't understand that even with the old 8.0 jailbreak, the side-loaded application had to be recompiled to ARM architecture from x86, and were duly disappointed. Those were mostly open source developer tools to boot.

@OP: Understand that Windows RT is like iOS and Android. You can't install Mac software on iOS, and you can't install Linux software on Android. Everything is from the store.

I clearly said that "In the future there will be a jailbreak for the Surface 2" meaning there is not one yet for Surface 2 running Windows 8.1 RT. I linked to the threads for the Windows 8 RT jailbreak to help OP understand what it is and the list of ported desktop applications.

oion

I clearly said that "In the future there will be a jailbreak for the Surface 2" meaning there is not one yet for Surface 2 running Windows 8.1 RT. I linked to the threads for the Windows 8 RT jailbreak to help OP understand what it is and the list of ported desktop applications.

You clearly promised what cannot be promised. Are you working on a 8.1 jailbreak yourself and believe you're close to a solution?

Besides which the probability of porting Chrome to ARM for Surface is slim to none even if there was a jailbreak, so what was the point in bringing up a nonexistent solution that wouldn't have solved the OP's question in the first place?

The appropriate advice here is to make do with what's available: IE, with Tracking Protection Lists as ad-blocking.

macmee

Clarity:

Just want to also mention this tool:

[Beta] Win86emu: Running x86 apps on WinRT devices - xda-developers

Which allows you to run some x86 software through means of emulation (does not have to be recompiled, so it lets us run some proprietary software such as AOE).

The above tool works on 8.1, just that 8.1 has no unlock yet, but despite how much harder it is to open up 8.1 (seriously what the hell was Microsoft thinking), it will be rooted; it's just a matter of time.

@OP you don't want to run Chrome on your Surface anyway. It is laggy even on the pro, and its not touch or retina optimized very well at all.

D

Deleted member 10837

You clearly promised what cannot be promised. Are you working on a 8.1 jailbreak yourself and believe you're close to a solution?

Besides which the probability of porting Chrome to ARM for Surface is slim to none even if there was a jailbreak, so what was the point in bringing up a nonexistent solution that wouldn't have solved the OP's question in the first place?

The appropriate advice here is to make do with what's available: IE, with Tracking Protection Lists as ad-blocking.

The original jailbreak thread on XDA was posted 2.5 months after Surface RT lunched so I am optimistic of a jailbreak for Surface 2 soon from their development progress update so far.

Chrome will not work on the Surface 2. IE is the only browser that you can use.

I already mentioned Google Chrome in my first post but with the jailbreak you will have the option to use another browser other then Internet Explorer.

oion

The original jailbreak thread on XDA was posted 2.5 months after Surface RT lunched so I am optimistic of a jailbreak for Surface 2 soon from their development progress update so far.

I already mentioned Google Chrome in my first post but with the jailbreak you will have the option to use another browser other then Internet Explorer.

That's still all irrelevant to the OP's issue.

There are no ARM-ported browsers as functional as WinRT's IE10/11 for the 8.0 jailbreak that has been out for nearly a year. The only ported browser is QupZilla and it doesn't even support Flash.

And... because you have a penchant for being completely off-topic and ignoring what the thread is about--the OP specifically wants Chrome to sync across devices. Unless you can right now offer a solution that allows Chrome syncing or another browser that's as functional as IE, everything you say is irrelevant here.

There is only one answer and two possible solutions: Answer is "No Chrome on Windows RT" and solutions are "learn to use IE" or "return Surface for any other full Windows 8 device."

macmee

That's still all irrelevant to the OP's issue.

There are no ARM-ported browsers as functional as WinRT's IE10/11 for the 8.0 jailbreak that has been out for nearly a year. The only ported browser is QupZilla and it doesn't even support Flash.

And... because you have a penchant for being completely off-topic and ignoring what the thread is about--the OP specifically wants Chrome to sync across devices. Unless you can right now offer a solution that allows Chrome syncing or another browser that's as functional as IE, everything you say is irrelevant here.

There is only one answer and two possible solutions: Answer is "No Chrome on Windows RT" and solutions are "learn to use IE" or "return Surface for any other full Windows 8 device."

Maybe we should cool it for now, I think Name Taken was just trying to help OP, no harm done :p

Maybe we should cool it for now, I think Name Taken was just trying to help OP, no harm done :p
Maybe he was trying to be helpful, and maybe he was just being pompous and bloviating. I rarely agree with oion but he is absolutely correct for calling Name Taken out on his confidence in something that quite possibly won't come to pass.

Let's leave the hyperbole to iFanbois.

D

Deleted member 10837

Maybe he was trying to be helpful, and maybe he was just being pompous and bloviating. I rarely agree with oion but he is absolutely correct for calling Name Taken out on his confidence in something that quite possibly won't come to pass.

Let's leave the hyperbole to iFanbois.

That a jailbreak won't come to pass or Google Chrome port won't come to pass? I stated in my first post that I don't believe Google Chrome will be ported but I am optimistic of a jailbreak for the Surface 2 from the development updates on XDA. And with jailbreak, you will have the option to use another browser other then IE, which I was responding to kristalsoldier.

Last edited by a moderator: