What's new

Modern Word Processor Discussion Thread

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I don't understand. I've had several people requesting I make it free. Don't people care about the quality of apps nowadays?
It is the App Store mentality, when the Average price for paid apps is ¢99 and many have become "Freemium", People expect cheap or free. This is what happened with the SHAREWARE market as well and led to ADWARE we see today.

OP
G

goodintentions

It is the App Store mentality, when the Average price for paid apps is ¢99 and many have become "Freemium", People expect cheap or free. This is what happened with the SHAREWARE market as well and led to ADWARE we see today.
Someone suggested I put ads in the app. I really really don't want to do this. For the price of a cheeseburger, they can get the app forever with all its future updates.

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/apps

Added by edit.

Oh yeah, someone suggested I make the corners round. And add more colors. What do you think?

CreativeLemming

Just tried the trial (after reading this thread thought it would be good to support a fellow surfaceforums member) but can't find any way of actually inserting any text into a new document. The on-screen keyboard doesn't appear? Text to speech recognises my speech ok, although it doesn't insert it into the document. Renders existing docs ok, although without a keyboard I'm a bit stuck - is this a known issue?

...like the NSA reference in the trial screen, although maybe you shouldn't pop it up after the very first instance, give it a few days then start prompting?

Tsurugaya

If people aren't willing to part with a few dollars for the app, they probably don't need it. Nobody works for free, but that doesn't mean you can't make one paid version and one free/add supported version.

lparsons21

I hate ad supported apps!!

I have and will continue to buy apps, even some that have minimal use for me. Most are very inexpensive and a few bucks to the developer just encourages more apps.

And we sure need more apps covering the gaping holes in coverage.

Yeah, I know we could use desktop apps but they aren't much fun when using the SPs as tablets.

OP
G

goodintentions

Just tried the trial (after reading this thread thought it would be good to support a fellow surfaceforums member) but can't find any way of actually inserting any text into a new document. The on-screen keyboard doesn't appear? Text to speech recognises my speech ok, although it doesn't insert it into the document. Renders existing docs ok, although without a keyboard I'm a bit stuck - is this a known issue?

...like the NSA reference in the trial screen, although maybe you shouldn't pop it up after the very first instance, give it a few days then start prompting?
Hehe trial is read only mode. Everything else works, though. Bought version gives you ability to add and remove text. See the check box labeled read only at the upper left hand corner?

Last edited:
OP
G

goodintentions

Ok, the last response was using a phone. I'm home now.

The next update, which I will send out tomorrow... or tonight, will let the user have full access for 3 days. Then, after that it will go into read-only mode until the app is bought.

I've also stabilized the speech recognition. So, if you are bilingual or trilingual like me, you can switch back and forth between the languages without having to refresh the control.

The next update will definitely have text-to-speech function. This will come in handy when you want a story read to you.

Good news is I've just fixed a damn bug that's been plaguing my app since the first version. Chances are nobody noticed the bug, but I did. Turned out a subroutine was called twice at initialization. Another good news is I've just patched a bug that allowed the user to buy the app for $0 :D :p

Inserted images are resizable by simply pressing and dragging the corners.

Let's see, what else... yes, the app now listens in to your conversations at home. I will be selling the private convos you have to the highest bidder. Anyone remember that that monty python gig called blackmail?

OP
G

goodintentions

A little background. Metro app doesn't have a built in option for a dev to give full feature access for a certain number of days and then lock up some features after those days. What it does have is a built in trial where the user will have a trial for a certain number of days and then the app will not work at all after that.

I just spent all day writing out a security protocol of my own to give the user full access to all features for 3 days and then will turn into read-only mode after that. The problem that comes with this is there is now a door where anyone with the most basic computer knowledge can go through and have full access forever without ever paying. So, the new protocol I wrote has to account for the typical user, the computer savvy, and the hacker. We'll just ignore the typical user for now. For the computer savvy, all I have to do is put in some stumbling blocks and they don't know what to do next when they try to have full options forever. It's the hacker that I focused on all day today.

Having been a hacker myself (please don't call the feds on me), I had to try to think up of all kinds of ways the hacker could do to gain full access to all features without paying. I think I got it. Of course it's not fool proof, but hopefully this app isn't important enough for the hacker to put too much effort into cracking my protocol.

Having said that, tonight I will submit an update to be certified. Perhaps Tuesday or Wednesday you'll be able to get the update and will have 3 days of full access to all the features.

I don't care if you buy or not. Don't buy to "support" me. Only buy if you want to.

Unfortunately, there won't be text-to-speech for this update. I spent all my time working on making it free for 3 days that I haven't had any time to debug the text-to-speech control. I'll do that some time this incoming week.

For those that have bought this app, thank you for your support. There are a few minor changes, like rounded corners and extra controls in the left menu. No major change, though.

Last edited:
OP
G

goodintentions

So, someone just emailed me telling me the update that I sent out on Sunday and is now available in the store today broke half the buttons
smiley-laughing024.gif
. So, I did an emergency fix. Sending out another update tonight to get those buttons working again.

I personally hate sending out an update just for the sake of fixing bugs. So, in this update, I've included a feature that I wasn't going to include in this app at all. I originally was going to create a separate app for it. But what the hell, might as well include it here to make it super-powerful.

This feature will allow the user to export the document to .docm, .dot, .dotm, .dotx, .html, and .txt. I particularly like the HTML part, since the user can edit a website with this document processor and then just export it out to HTML with all the images, tables, text formats, etc. included. Very powerful stuff here.

10.png
11.png
12.png

Last edited: