What's new

Monitor scaling; fuzzy text

nilsk123

Hi,

I recently bought a surface pro 3, a docking station, and a dell u2414h full hd monitor. I've been trying to set this up so the resolution and scaling on both screens is right, but it's driving me insane.

Obviously, why i plug in my surface into the docking station, i want the surface screen to stay as it always is, and the dell has to scale so ui elements are smaller (it's a 24 inch screen).

I've been messing with the slider for scaling size, and the 'same scaling for both displays checkbox'.

Basicaly i have now set it up so all the ui elements are the right size (except for the taskbar for some reason, but whatever). However, text on 1 of the screens will always be fuzzy. I think the display thats connected first is sharp and on the other one the text will remain fuzzy.

Any experiences?

Dysys

Hey,
I've made some interesting findings as my SP3 needs to run a virtual machine with a multiple monitor setup (2 external displays connected via DisplayPort). Things were horribly blurry and resolutions didnt seem to be maintaining changes that I was making. It's not exactly easy to make changes and see the results because of the need to log out of the VM and the SP3 local OS to see the proper changes ripple through.

In any case, I've set the zooming to 100% on all displays and maintained the native resolutions per monitor. These are 1680x1050, so it's not 4k or anything. The SP3 however has the tiniest UI components, so I'll keep testing the settings to see if the per display settings work out. Im not sure if the VMWare Player takes any notice of this though, so I may be limited.

I did find this interesting article too, which may help you.
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2013/07/15/windows-8-1-dpi-scaling-enhancements/

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,

I recently bought a surface pro 3, a docking station, and a dell u2414h full hd monitor. I've been trying to set this up so the resolution and scaling on both screens is right, but it's driving me insane.

Obviously, why i plug in my surface into the docking station, i want the surface screen to stay as it always is, and the dell has to scale so ui elements are smaller (it's a 24 inch screen).

I've been messing with the slider for scaling size, and the 'same scaling for both displays checkbox'.

Basicaly i have now set it up so all the ui elements are the right size (except for the taskbar for some reason, but whatever). However, text on 1 of the screens will always be fuzzy. I think the display thats connected first is sharp and on the other one the text will remain fuzzy.

Any experiences?
Any Win32 Application or Component that uses XP Style GDI Scaling will struggle with DPI Scaling. One work around that has been discussed many times in these forums is right clicking on the offending program or shortcut and selecting properties....compatibility tab and configure as below:

upload_2014-10-9_6-11-1.png