What's new

Monitor via VGA to USB - Not working

Carterman32

I have a brand new Surface Pro (current model) and a Viewsonic a monitor with a VGA cable connected to a VGA to USB adapter, and then the USB end is plugged into my Surface. I cannot get the surface to recognize the monitor, and I've gone through Microsoft's online chat several times only to get frustrated with different answers. They tried numerous drivers for the graphics card, reinstalling the operating system, etc. Then they told me that the Surface USB port cannot be used to connect a monitor, just hard drives. I know that's not true, because I see people online doing it just fine. I also have a displaylink dock, but the same issue occurs, regardless of whether I use the dock or connect the USB directly to the Surface. However, if I use an HDMI cable to connect the monitor into the dock, it will extend the Surface desktop without issue. The problem is I have two external monitors and only one hdmi port, so I need to figure out a way to connect this 2nd monitor via USB.

The issue arising is that - when I plug in the 2nd monitor via usb - the device manager registers it under "Cameras" as a "USB Video Device" with an exclamation point on the icon. I have tried updating the graphics driver, and the driver for the "USB Video Device." Nothing seems to work.

Microsoft CS told me I now need to talk to someone on the Surface team, which is who I thought I was talking to all along, especially since they took control of my computer to try to fix the issue. Of course, I called and was put on hold before I finally gave up. Every time I talk to Microsoft, it's like I'm having the same conversation for the first time.

Is there anyone on here who can help me sort out my issue? It must be a driver problem, otherwise why else would it register the monitor as a video device. Any help would be appreciated.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have a brand new Surface Pro (current model) and a Viewsonic a monitor with a VGA cable connected to a VGA to USB adapter, and then the USB end is plugged into my Surface. I cannot get the surface to recognize the monitor, and I've gone through Microsoft's online chat several times only to get frustrated with different answers. They tried numerous drivers for the graphics card, reinstalling the operating system, etc. Then they told me that the Surface USB port cannot be used to connect a monitor, just hard drives. I know that's not true, because I see people online doing it just fine. I also have a displaylink dock, but the same issue occurs, regardless of whether I use the dock or connect the USB directly to the Surface. However, if I use an HDMI cable to connect the monitor into the dock, it will extend the Surface desktop without issue. The problem is I have two external monitors and only one hdmi port, so I need to figure out a way to connect this 2nd monitor via USB.

The issue arising is that - when I plug in the 2nd monitor via usb - the device manager registers it under "Cameras" as a "USB Video Device" with an exclamation point on the icon. I have tried updating the graphics driver, and the driver for the "USB Video Device." Nothing seems to work.

Microsoft CS told me I now need to talk to someone on the Surface team, which is who I thought I was talking to all along, especially since they took control of my computer to try to fix the issue. Of course, I called and was put on hold before I finally gave up. Every time I talk to Microsoft, it's like I'm having the same conversation for the first time.

Is there anyone on here who can help me sort out my issue? It must be a driver problem, otherwise why else would it register the monitor as a video device. Any help would be appreciated.
Uninstall and delete all DisplayLink Drivers and Applications, reboot - download the latest drivers directly from DisplayLink's website and install the package. One thing to remember is the USB port may not be providing enough power for the monitor so you will need to use one of the dual USB cables and find a powered hub or dock or outlet.

OP
C

Carterman32

Just tried this, but unfortunately, the same problem persists. It still reads the driver as a webcam, whether I hook the usb directly to the computer, or go through the hub. But again, everything works fine when I plug it into my other laptop, either directly or through the hub.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Just tried this, but unfortunately, the same problem persists. It still reads the driver as a webcam, whether I hook the usb directly to the computer, or go through the hub. But again, everything works fine when I plug it into my other laptop, either directly or through the hub.

Any other suggestions?
Can you link me to the VGA to USB adapter you are using?